Helicopter Insurance

ADRidge

Hey folks, I was wondering if anyone on here is familiar with insurance for an R-44, either Raven I or Raven II, if that matters. I've got roughly 210 TT, 75 in the R-44 and the training course. This would be for a commercial operation.

I've tried going to Sutton James' website, but they want a tail number, which I don't have, and a business name, which I don't have. I'm really just trying to get a general range, not a quote necessarily at this point.

Thanks

Also if I may add to that, do most insurance companies have a minimum number of hours required in the r44 for commercial ops? I also am looking at a commercial operation and I have no time in the 44, so I am wondering how much insurance carriers would want.

In response to the first post I just heard from a helicopter leasing agency that you can expect 1500-2200 a month for a 44. It depends on the value of the helicopter, I believe this may be pathfinder insurance.

Edited by slick1537

For what it's worth, I recently hit up AOPAs insurance people for a quote (personal use only as they don't do commercial stuff). R44II, declared value either 250k or 450k. Me with 300 hours, 75 in R44. I got told either 22k or 27k a year, depending on declared value.

I can only imagine that commercial rates would be worse, I never actually checked though.

I recently got quotes for an R44 with a $350k hull value for full hull replacement with commercial and instruction w/ solo rental endorsemtns came out to $32k.

Expect to pay between 7 to 10% of the hull value for full coverage. You may have problems with your hours being low. In fact you almost definitely will, depending on what you mean by 'commercial operation.'

Good luck.

Edited by HelliBoy

Here's where I'm at, although it is quite different than your situation.

1000+ hours helicopter

500+ R44

2008 R44 R2 at $420k I think.

The helicopter is owned by the company I work for, and is ONLY used for business/personal use. In other words, no income from the helicopter. No instruction allowed. I am the only pilot. Sutton James quoted $13k/year, and another quoted $11k/year with some different coverages.

I was told if the helicopter was used for instruction, the rates would go up "drastically". Generally the insurance companies want to see 1000 helicopter and 100 R44. That doesn't mean you can't insure it, just be ready to pay.

The first year of ownership it was insured the same, except to be used as occasional instruction for a single student to be able to also solo, and it was some $26k/year (not sutton james).

Also keep in mind many companies will state no long-line/external load, or charge much more for that of course.

I would plan on $25k/year minimum. Also realize that they will want that money for the full year up front.

For an 2005 R22 Beta II personal with about your hours it costs me $6700.00 a year.

For commercial operations on the same it is 28k, the first year, about 20K the second year (with no claims) and about 13K ther after.

Now add add some for the increase in hull coverage and I'd say about 32 -35K first year.

Sutton James is a great group to work with. You need to call Airika at their number, she is very helpful and will give the the straight scoop and no pressure.

Good Luck.

edspilot

For an 2005 R22 Beta II personal with about your hours it costs me $6700.00 a year.

For commercial operations on the same it is 28k, the first year, about 20K the second year (with no claims) and about 13K ther after.

Now add add some for the increase in hull coverage and I'd say about 32 -35K first year.

Sutton James is a great group to work with. You need to call Airika at their number, she is very helpful and will give the the straight scoop and no pressure.

Good Luck.

edspilot

edspilot, thanks for the great info. I really appreciate it. There will be no flight instruction on this ship. I plan on it being a tour/ride ship, so hopefully that'll cut the cost a tad maybe. Or maybe that's wishful thinking. Anyway, I appreciate the good info all around.

I'll let everyone know what I find out.

Hey folks, I was wondering if anyone on here is familiar with insurance for an R-44, either Raven I or Raven II, if that matters. I've got roughly 210 TT, 75 in the R-44 and the training course. This would be for a commercial operation.

I've tried going to Sutton James' website, but they want a tail number, which I don't have, and a business name, which I don't have. I'm really just trying to get a general range, not a quote necessarily at this point.

Thanks

There are only about 3 or so underwriters who insure helicopters in the entire US. Certainly shouldn't be that difficult to get a quote?

Rotorrodent

There are only about 3 or so underwriters who insure helicopters in the entire US. Certainly shouldn't be that difficult to get a quote?

Rotorrodent

Actually I think there are a few more than that, but unfortunately, you have to work through a broker and some brokers don't deal with all the underwriters. Broker fees do vary. BUT the biggest problem is that the underwriters will only work with you through one broker. And if you got a quote from an underwriter that also does program insurance, they have a tendency to quote the program much higher than their previous quote.

Also some underwriters will quote any commercial ops as commercial period, no matter what you do. Others will break out tour/rides as a different quote.

One thing you can do to lower your insurance cost is to eliminate or raise your open pilot clause. Then put yourself and whoever else that flies it on as named pilots.

Good luck.

Edited by rick1128

well, I just got done talking to Caitlyn over at Sutton James. For someone at my experience level (or lack thereof :P ) I can plan on 10% of the value of the aircraft, or in this case 33,000 or so.

Hopefully this will help someone in the future.