what path should i take?

mausermolt

Hi there, i am about 8 hours away from my commercial, no instrument and no more money to continue to get my CFI ( i am 19 years old with no college degree). what are my options now? i am also looking to get my hazmat endorsement so i can drive fuel truck if i cant find a flying job. are there are any other ways besides military to get behind the cyclic? i know the market right now is flooded with low time pilots looking for jobs, so what would you advise to do to be able to become hireable? what types of jobs are out there for pilots in my situation and will there ever be in the future. thank you for any response.

You need the Comm with IR in most situations. So get the CDL, work for a few years (fly at least once a month to stay current) and save your money, then finish your training. 98% of the helicopter industry requires CFII with 1000 PIC Min. but prefer 1500 PIC. Most insurance companies won't touch a Comm helicopter pilot unless he/she has a min of 500hrs PIC. If you have your CFI then insurance will allow 200-300hrs. You're in a tough position right now if you can not move on. Good luck

Take it from someone who knows. If you cannot get your CFi, you will not find a job! I have been trying for four years now, and I have 600hrs.

Go to college, get a "real job", and persue flying on the side. :huh:

I got hired with Croman as SIC with only 232hrs. That was in 2005. Those SIC jobs are really hard to get now as most companies are wanting you to be typed in aircraft so they can have two command pilots in the helicopter. You just switch out at 4hrs as PIC to SIC on an 8hr flight.

Today it is not any easier to get a job even if you have a CFI. Most companies want you to be a CFII. I have over 1100hrs and still can't get a job mainly because I'm not a CFII and I do not have the full 1000hrs of PIC. Good luck

thank you for your responses, i recently stumbled upon an opportunity to get about $5000 more possibly enough to get my CFI. so i get my CFI and have my 200hrs i weigh about 210, what is the CFI market like right now? thanks again for your responses and advise!

No sugarcoating here. Get your CFII. Your chances of being hired with the CFII are still slim to none unless the flight school you're training at has an opening. Most flight schools now days only hire the CFII's they trained. Most don't like "outsiders". Things do change on a day-to-day basis so you may have a chance. Good luck

At 210lbs you should go to Bristow and train in the 300. Most CFi ads I've seen for the R22 want no more than 185lbs.

At 200lbs I've had a hard time finding CFis with which to fly. Recently I wanted to try out the new glass-cockpit R22 a local school just got, they said they did not have anyone light enough to fly with me. :o