returning to flying...

wils

about this time last year i was scheduled to take a commercial test, due to some medical issues, i had to quit flying. i have been given the ok by the doctor to return. however being out for almost a year now is makin me really nervous to back and start up again. any thoughts?

It comes back. Your instructor will understand. It's been over a year since I flew an R22, and I'm hoping that the first 5-10 hrs back I can use to unlearn some of the bad habits that I was taught during primary training. The times that I have flown since finishing my CFI (all in a 269/300), I found that I wasn't as overwhelmed as I thought I would be, and all the basic skills were still there. Some things I had to relearn, everything else was ugly but still there.

Keep us updated on how it goes.

I took a 7 month break a while back, right after I got my commercial rating. My first day back was about as sloppy as when I was a student pilot taking my first cross-country solo. My second day was about 75% better. It took about 10 hours of flight time, all told, to get back to where I was.

You'll get there. Just try and break off the rust as fast as possible and then get back into the ground study. My commercial check ride was a blast, actually.

I'm on an exceedingly long 'can't find a job' break. I figure that if I ever do get an interview that leads to a flight check, I will have to spend at least 5 hours with an instructor to prepare. I have started saving, just in case. :huh:

The rust will go away. I took some time off (8 months) from flying, due to my work schedule. Talk about feeling like a new student again! One thing that really helped, was covering the airspeed indicator, the ship I flew did not have an artificial horizon, but I was flying airspeed, instead of attitude, with the airspeed covered up, my sight picture was back after a couple of patterns, as well as being able to "feel" what the ship was doing.

Next time I take a break, I'm also going to stay away from MS Flight Simulator, it spoils you for eyes out the cockpit flying.