2 Questions...

Hi all. I'm planning to start my flight training in the fall (at Hillsboro Aviation with the degree program there) and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for books I should read in the meantime. Just trying to get a good working knowledge of the theory before I dive head first into the practice.

Second question: For anyone using Ch 33 for their training, what should I be looking at in terms of additional costs? Aside from living expenses, that is. i.e. if I go over the hours prescribed in the degree plan, am I paying for those myself? Also, any little things that might catch me by surprise.

Thanks in advance,

- Ross

Hi all. I'm planning to start my flight training in the fall (at Hillsboro Aviation with the degree program there) and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for books I should read in the meantime. Just trying to get a good working knowledge of the theory before I dive head first into the practice.

Second question: For anyone using Ch 33 for their training, what should I be looking at in terms of additional costs? Aside from living expenses, that is. i.e. if I go over the hours prescribed in the degree plan, am I paying for those myself? Also, any little things that might catch me by surprise.

Thanks in advance,

- Ross

I recommend getting the Rotorcraft Flying Handbook, and the R22 POH, the 2010 FAR/AIM book and if you want the Schweizer Helicopter Pilot Textbook by Jeppesen. The R22 POH because they use the R22 as their main trainer. The 2010 FAR/AIM to start reading the regs (parts 61, 67, SFAR 73, and 91), and the other two books for good all around information as most schools will use both these books. Hope this helps and good luck.

Steve

I was wondering the same thing about additional costs for extra hours. The people at K-State told me that the basic curriculum costs would be completely covered by the VA, but I've heard its hard to get all the different ratings at the minimum number of hours.

I'm using Ch33 at Leading Edge Aviation and COCC. The majority of the students here have made it through private just fine with the money alloted from the VA. College classes are covered as well as the flight training. There are a few that had to pay for a few hours at most out of pocket. The more committed you are and the more you study, the less likely you'll have to pay out of pocket.