private knowledge test

csw1000

What is the difference between a fw private and a rotor craft private knowledge test? Is it a completely different test or is the rotor craft just an add on? I want to take the ground school at UVU and they only offer it to fw students because passing the faa exam is part of the course. If the rotor craft is the same just with an add on I could take the course and the fw test and then add the rotor craft later?

Ahh, it has all of the helicopter aerodynamics. Which the plank drivers don't have to know. Also, emergency procedure questions will differ. So all in all, yes it is quite different.

Ahh, it has all of the helicopter aerodynamics. Which the plank drivers don't have to know. Also, emergency procedure questions will differ. So all in all, yes it is quite different.

Not to mention, the FW test has all the things plank drivers have to know about that mean different things to us (stalls) or that we don't care about (spins, P-factor, propellers).

As far as the tests themselves, some of the questions might be overlapping or generic, but they draw from different question pools. The helicopter exam is not just an airplane exam with a few helicopter questions added.

On the other hand, about half of the FAA written test questions are FAR's and weather. The other half of the test is a mix of navigation, instruments, and aeromedical factors. If you're just starting flight training I would take the FW ground school, take the FAA FW test if it's included, then study and take the RW test on your own soon after.

The best way to take those knowledge tests is to use the ASA Prepware computer program. Most of the stuff in those tests seems pointless, and useless, kind of like the DMV written. Just get through them as quickly as you can, so you can then focus on the real important stuff. :blink:

I'm currently using the ASA prepware program for my RW commercial written. I did a ground school class for my FW private. I think it's faster to just take the class. All you have to do is show up. My instructor was great. The software is like eating a box of stale crackers.

Mmmmmmm...stale crackers, delicious. Seems like everything in the heli world requires eating something and stale crackers is not the worst thing I've come across so far. When will I have to eat sh*t? Probably when I try to get that first job. I can't wait! Helicopters are great!

Actually my cfi recommended the prep-ware from ASA, I think I will go that route.