What's that noise?

Witch

Ok, so I'm kinda watching Whale Wars, and is it me, or is the pilot a little over-dramatic about his position?

In this episode, it seems the rotor head develops a noise-that they fix, but returns-and as a result, he grounds the helo-a Schweizer. So, the pilot plots a course back to Hobart to get the bird fixed, a 20 day trip. The bridge crew wants to remain looking for the Japaneese and say the heck with the helicopter. The pilot, in his interviews, seems to imply that his position is more important than the rest because he's a pilot and the helicopter is the major asset to the mission.

He also seems a bit dramitic about flying the bird too. 'If something happens to the helicopter, it's not like I can land and see what the problem is, you're out in open water.' Excuse me, you have FLOATS!!!. The radio also allows you to talk to the ship! Stop being dramatic!

The pilot is perturbed and goes whining to the Captain about getting to a port for repairs. I guess the Captain gives in and sets a course to Freemantle.

Anyhow, it seems to me that this guy has a bit of an ego. I know the show shows only a small fraction of what really happens, but still.

Later

It takes a certain kind of character to allow themselves to be represented on these "Reality" tv shows. The words "Tool", "Egomaniac", "Jackass", and "Unprofessional" spring to mind. They love to hear themselves talk. Everyone else around them can't stand to hear them talk, as everything they say makes them cringe. You'll notice on some of those shows like Heli Loggers, they don't show very many clips of the guys that just shut up and work like most of us do in the real world. As long as this guy puts that show on his resume I can't see him being hired by a serious operator.

Destined to fly a 300 forever!!!

He may have floats on the helicopter, BUT you really don't want to land in deep water. A large percentage of helicopters that do tend to rollover. I agree with Darren that this is TV and egos are involved. However, I really can't blame the guy for wanting it fixed properly.

Oh, I'm not blaming him for wanting it fixed, I'm blaming him for being egotistical and melodramatic-like a pilot :D .

Spot on Mr. Hughes! How do they get away with calling it/them reality TV, since apparently nothing on it is real anymore. I do admit I enjoy hearing Chef Ramsey calling out people that don't just "shut up and work" :P. Shiny up

I enjoy watching Whale Wars and I'd be curious as to how much the helicopter is really flown. It seems that last season and this season that it is always breaking down. Now last season it had a completely different tail number, not sure if it was re-registered this season with a "N" Number or a whole "new" aircraft... But the show may be only showing the "problems" because 100 hours of safe flying does not exactly make interesting television... also not sure if I'd really care to take my blades off after each flight either....

I... also not sure if I'd really care to take my blades off after each flight either....

A possible advantage to use a Robbie instead? Not having to take the blades off to hangar it?

And the engine lasts longer too.

Later