New Member w/ Questions

hi guys,

i am new to the forum, and new to helicopters/flying as well. i've got a few questions i was hoping you all would help me answer...

firstly, i am a 31 year old male living in Cincinnati, OH. i am a recent graduate of Univ. Cincinnati (English/Spanish major) and am now single and free to do what i want haha. long story short, i want to fly helicopters.

flying helicopters is not something i knew i wanted to do my whole life. i was always fascinated by them, but it wasn't until recently that it clicked in my head..."screw being a teacher (what i had wanted to do), i want to fly helicopters." for about the past 6 months, i have thought about it seemingly non-stop. i dream about it, i think about it while i'm talkin to people, i daydream about it. but admittedly, i am unsure where to start...

i want to know more about helicopters. i feel unprepared to even begin my journey, but i know that is because i am new to the heli scene altogether.

i have done a little bit of research on a local school here in Cincy (HigherGround Helicopters) that seems quite reputable, and i have a couple books- one on learning the basics of helicopter flight (published in the early '90s).

so, my questions...

-do you fly? if so, how long did you know you wanted to fly helicopters? part of me feels like helicopter pilots are a special breed...and it seems as though many of them knew their whole lives they were going to fly. the special breed part? i've got that down pat. but unlike many, flying was not a life-long dream...

-where do i begin in my journey to be a helicopter pilot? books, tours, videos, classes, etc.

-what type of flying do you do? med-evac, tourism, etc.

-what are things to look for when researching potential flight schools? how do i discriminate between one here in Cincinnati and another reputable one 300 miles away?

-do you love what you do?

i have many, many questions, but i will leave it at that for now. if this is too much, i'll gladly edit things down to a slower pace and get to know this forum better before asking so much of you.

that being said, i am excited just to have found this forum, and also to hear what advice/answers you have for a newby like myself.

thanks a lot...

I'd reccomend going to a school and taking a "demo" flight first and then looking into the financials for the training. One major obstacle is aquiring loans for flight training, although you can go through a University and get more financial help that way. The most common route to start a career flying is by being a Flight Instructor first. This will end up costing about $60k - $75k and it's difficult to get unsecured loans for that amount.

If that doesn't concern you then I'd reccomend to start reading the Rotorcraft Flying Handbook. Check out the Sportys Helicopter videos or ASA Helicopter Fundamentals dvd.

I am a newbie too. I don't have any certificates. However since I have been an still am in your situation I can tell you what I have found helpful.

First off, keep browsing this forum. It is the best one I have found and many of the others are just filled with disgruntled discouraging people that would rather tell you to hit the road than give you advice. Start in the flight school/training forum, many of your questions will be answered there and then some. You will soon figure out who is knowledgeable and successful in the industry, listen to them.

Never burn bridges, it could ruin your career before it ever starts. It is a very small world in the helicopter business. I have been to multiple schools and found that someone knew me before I walked in the door (wether through here or word of mouth from another school). Even with fierce competition for business (students) school operators all seem to know and be friends with each other. I have even had competing schools refer me to thier competitors when they couldn't acomodate my situation (VA financing). In short, you are interviewing for a job from day 1.

As dieselboy said, take a demo flight, heck take a few, I have. It is a blast and you can try different schools, instructors, and airframes before commiting to one.

Oh yeah I get to be the first one to tell you this (you will hear it many more times)...NEVER GIVE A FLIGHT SCHOOL ANY MORE $ UP FRONT THAN YOU CAN AFFORD TO LOSE!

Research the industry and job market. Unless this is something you feel you absolutly have to do in life, you may be better off investing in a different career. Of course you are ahead of many with a backup plan.

Last but maybe best idea (especially since you aren't tied down) Military. You get paid to go to flight school instead of paying $70k out of your pocket. Cut off is 33 years old so you could still do it, and your degree will be a big advantage over others.

Whatever you decide good luck and keep us posted.

Edited by gary-mike

...until recently that it clicked in my head..."screw being a teacher (what i had wanted to do),...

-do you fly? if so, how long did you know you wanted to fly helicopters? part of me feels like helicopter pilots are a special breed..

Its good that at one point you actually "wanted" to be a teacher, because if you go the 'civilian' route, you WILL HAVE TO BE A FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR! (For several years!)

:)

I became a pilot at the age of 30, and if I had been able, I would have gone WOFT! Then by now, I'd be out of the military, and flying Tours in the "ditch", like I wanted from the beginning,...instead of ,still unemployed, about to give the CFI one last shot.

:(

Like you, I haven't always wanted to fly helicopters. I have although, always wanted to fly (F-14s, Harriers, the Space Shuttle). I picked helicopters about a decade ago, because I figured flying tourists around all day would be a 'decent' way to 'run out the clock'. I just had no idea of how hard it actually is to get into this unbelievably overcrowded industry!

<_<

Flying helicopters is 'way cool' though, even if its only about once a month.

;)

Good luck,...and go WOFT!

:D

i have thought about it seemingly non-stop. i dream about it, i think about it while i'm talkin to people, i daydream about it. but admittedly, i am unsure where to start...

-do you fly? if so, how long did you know you wanted to fly helicopters? part of me feels like helicopter pilots are a special breed...and it seems as though many of them knew their whole lives they were going to fly. the special breed part?

I usually fall asleep at night going thru a start procedure. Whether its the R22, the 44 or the B206, and I usually get about to blades spinning and I am out!

At about age 9 I saw a magazine ad for a RotorWay Scorpion kit helicopter with the Evinrude outboard engine and I was hooked. From then on I drew pictures of my Scorpion with "mods" all thru school. I was 19 when I had my first ride in the back of a B206, 22 yrs. when I first touched the controls in flight of a B206 and about 26 when I started training in an R22 Alpha. I still just do it for fun, I don't earn a living at it, at least not yet.

All your questions about learning to fly have been answered 100 times before, just spend some time searching posts....good luck on your venture to flight.

Goldy

It's a burning flame in a person's heart that doesn't get extinguished until they receive their first certificate in hand... Go for it! RP CFI

hi guys,

i am new to the forum, and new to helicopters/flying as well. i've got a few questions i was hoping you all would help me answer...

firstly, i am a 31 year old male living in Cincinnati, OH. i am a recent graduate of Univ. Cincinnati (English/Spanish major) and am now single and free to do what i want haha. long story short, i want to fly helicopters.

flying helicopters is not something i knew i wanted to do my whole life. i was always fascinated by them, but it wasn't until recently that it clicked in my head..."screw being a teacher (what i had wanted to do), i want to fly helicopters." for about the past 6 months, i have thought about it seemingly non-stop. i dream about it, i think about it while i'm talkin to people, i daydream about it. but admittedly, i am unsure where to start...

i want to know more about helicopters. i feel unprepared to even begin my journey, but i know that is because i am new to the heli scene altogether.

i have done a little bit of research on a local school here in Cincy (HigherGround Helicopters) that seems quite reputable, and i have a couple books- one on learning the basics of helicopter flight (published in the early '90s).

so, my questions...

-do you fly? if so, how long did you know you wanted to fly helicopters? part of me feels like helicopter pilots are a special breed...and it seems as though many of them knew their whole lives they were going to fly. the special breed part? i've got that down pat. but unlike many, flying was not a life-long dream...

-where do i begin in my journey to be a helicopter pilot? books, tours, videos, classes, etc.

-what are things to look for when researching potential flight schools? how do i discriminate between one here in Cincinnati and another reputable one 300 miles away?

i have many, many questions, but i will leave it at that for now. if this is too much, i'll gladly edit things down to a slower pace and get to know this forum better before asking so much of you.

that being said, i am excited just to have found this forum, and also to hear what advice/answers you have for a newby like myself.

thanks a lot...

"-do you fly?"

Not often enough, unfortunately, but I'm full-time professional EMS pilot.

" if so, how long did you know you wanted to fly helicopters? part of me feels like helicopter pilots are a special breed...and it seems as though many of them knew their whole lives they were going to fly."

That one's tougher. Since the summer before my 10th birthday, when an Army H-19 landed in my grandmother's pasture. Vietnam era Army needed a lot of helo pilots, one could really go high school-flight school and then be paid to fly...

"Special breed"? Well, I don't much care for driving airplanes. I know guys who think their Cubs are something special, a great mystery to me. But, I think pilots are pilots.

"-where do i begin in my journey to be a helicopter pilot? books, tours, videos, classes, etc."

I would suggest that you review the economics of the proposition first. You will spend a lot of money to become rated, and you'll spend 1-5 years in the process before you'll be widely employable. If you're still interested, do an introductory flight and take some lessons. It's much more work than most people imagine, more like driving a tractor than swooping about the wild blue yonder.

"-what type of flying do you do? med-evac, tourism, etc."

EMS for 10 years, Gulf of Mexico 13 years prior to that, a brief stint instructing as a CFI, before that an Army IP, and "real jobs" for 15 years mixed in.

"-what are things to look for when researching potential flight schools? how do i discriminate between one here in Cincinnati and another reputable one 300 miles away?"

Never been a civilian ab initio, the business side is very important, but there are others here who forgot more yesterday than I ever knew about those factors. What I know is important is who will be teaching you. Teaching this is a performance art complicated by being technical. The way the CFI adapts to you and your learning style is as important as how industrious you are as a student.

"-do you love what you do?"

I've done other things for 15 of the last 45 years, made more money at some, and generally had better conditions with those jobs. Yes, I love what I do- usually. There are times when I wonder why I still do this, mostly when I'm being worked hard and success isn't assured. The next day, or after a good rest, I'm looking forward to the next flight.

Edited by Wally

As already stated, go for a demo flight to be sure this is something you can handle as not everyone can. The next step is to go a FAA Aviation Medical Examiner (Doctor) and get a class 2 Medical Certificate. If you can’t pass the class 2, then employment as a pilot will be difficult.

After that, get your finances in order. The 60-75K already mentioned is for training alone. Therefore, you’ll need to figure out the total cost which includes living expenses before, during and after training.

Once you have the money secured, then figure out a timeline. An average fulltime student should plan for 8 to 12 months to complete a CFII (Certified Flight Instructor – Instrument) program. You’ll want to plan to train nonstop for this entire time period.

Once you have the above figured out, then the real work begins. That is, which flight school to attend?

There are many flight schools out in the world but not all of them are the same and some are not on the up-n-up. NEVER dive in. Do some in-depth research. Think of the task on the same level as a Thesis for a Master Degree. However, there are a couple of simple conditions which are required when choosing a flight school.

First, the school should be reputable within the helicopter industry and been around for a while. A simple google/youtube/Vetical Reference search will get you in the ball park. Secondly, the school should operate the Robinson R22 (R22) and the Sikorsky 300 (S300), type of helicopters as you’ll need experience in both of these machines to become marketable. Don’t spend money on the R44. Insure the school you are considering has enough staff members to support your full-time schedule. Most schools have enough CFI’s as the industry is currently stagnant with little movement within the lower ranks so this shouldn’t be an issue but just be aware that is can be. Plus, maintenance staff and support staff. Unresolved mechanical problems will slow your training. Plus, not to mention a safety issue.

Once you’ve narrowed your selection start talking to folks. Talk to current and former students and current Instructors. Talk to other helicopter operators in the local area even though they are not associated with the flight training business. It’s already been said, this is a small industry. Ask lots of questions! Search here on Vertical Reference. The good thing is, everyone in this business likes to talk about helicopters.

Now once you have everything dialed in, sit down by yourself one evening with your favorite beverage and ask yourself this question;

"After spending all of that time & money to become a professional helicopter pilot and I never get a job, will I be happy with my decision?"

If it’s yes, then pack your bags!!!!

Also understand, the military route has some strings attached. First and foremost you join the military to become a soldier not a pilot. Once a soldier, the military may provide you an avenue to become a military pilot. Know this......……

I prefer not to broadcast my résumé. I'll just say I've been in the busineess for many years and really do enjoy flying helicopters for a living.

We're here if you have any additional questions.

Spike

Edited by Spike
  • Like 1

do you fly? if so, how long did you know you wanted to fly helicopters? part of me feels like helicopter pilots are a special breed...and it seems as though many of them knew their whole lives they were going to fly. the special breed part? i've got that down pat. but unlike many, flying was not a life-long dream...

I do fly. I knew I wanted to fly about 2 months before I started training. Saw a helicopter on the side of the road and decided thats what I would do.

Demo flight @ a flight school. Also start reading the rotorcraft flying handbook available for free from the faa website.

Tours

Safety record, size, student testimonies, ships flown (Do they have a R-22 instrument trainer, or do you have to pay for an R44?) Most important is probably just the vibe you get from the school. Do you think you can get along with the owner/chief pilot, possibly work for them someday?

Yep, can't imagine doing anything else as a career. Although in the end it is still a job, and it is still work.

hi guys,

so, my questions...

thanks a lot...

I just started flying last year in jan. and maybe you can learn from my mistakes. I flew at a part 141 (FAA apporved) school, got my ppl, then started on my commercial. At about 40 hours into my commercial (80 total) I needed to get some (5) instrument time. My school didnt have an instrument ship so I either had to go somewhere else or wait for them to get one. I looked into swtiching schools, this meant starting from 0 on my commercial which would waste $12000. In the end I switched to chapter 33 GI bill and enrolled in Embry-Riddle and now im almost done with my instrument. The Lesson from this - Pre-Plan everything. Make sure your school has what you need before you start.

And as soon as you take your first intro flight its all over might as well sell your soul just to get another hour. Thats how it was for me at least.