Instrument currency

How many of you guys keep up with your Instrument currency after you got your Instrument? obviously if your a EMS or Gulf pilot then you would have to, but anyone else in the VFR world do it?

How many of you guys keep up with your Instrument currency after you got your Instrument? obviously if your a EMS or Gulf pilot then you would have to, but anyone else in the VFR world do it?

I absolutely do. Unfortunately its all in the sim, but I keep current nonetheless. I try to make it every three months or so, to keep up the basics. My current job is day VFR only. I wish I could do it in flight every three months!

In a single-pilot helicopter, it's not possible to stay instrument current, because you can't use view-limiting devices. I practice, but the practice isn't loggable, thus it doesn't count for currency. You have to have dual controls, and a rated pilot in the other seat to count the time. I kept current while flying IFR ships in the GOM, but not otherwise.

I would be more interested in knowing how many of you instrument rated pilots are actually using it? :huh: ,...and teaching it doesn't count!

Maybe I should start another poll? :lol:

I would guess that very few are actually flying IFR, since the percentage of helicopters capable of flying IFR is relatively small. Two engines and two sources of electrical power are required, and for most models, two pilots, at least for Part 135. It's very expensive to own and operate an IFR ship. That said, an instrument rating is still required for most jobs, even if the aircraft isn't capable of flying IFR. It makes you a better, more precise pilot, and it gives you an outside chance of surviving an inadvertent IMC encounter. A slim chance, but better than none.

I would be more interested in knowing how many of you instrument rated pilots are actually using it? :huh: ,...and teaching it doesn't count!

Maybe I should start another poll? :lol:

I never thought I would use my instrument rating, but I fly IFR every day. Just goes to show you never know what aspect of your training you will use the most!

If you plan on working in the GOM, an instrument ticket is required, even if you never want to fly medium/heavy ships. But that's where the money is, and there you will maintain currency. I've known some IFR captains who were actually terrified of flying in the clouds, but most, if not all, of those are gone now. IFR in the GOM is an everyday thing.