Tail Rotor Failure

rodrop

The only person I know that had a full tail rotor failure was an ex-instructor of mine in Ireland. He was demonstrating a downwind approach and it happened 50ft AGL. It was in a 300CBI and he put in on the ground without damage.

You might find it interesting to read the report.

• Like 1

Not personally. In 40+ years, I've never had one. I know of them happening, though. A 214ST had one on the pad once, after maintenance forgot to connect everything, and it spun several times when the pilot rolled the throttle up for a check. That was exciting. :blink:

Edited by Gomer Pylot

Not personally. In 40+ years, I've never had one. I know of them happening, though. A 214ST had one on the pad once, after maintenance forgot to connect everything, and it spun several times when the pilot rolled the throttle up for a check. That was exciting. :blink:

That's crazy.

I would guess there are more challenges with loss of tail rotor effectiveness then an actual Tail Rotor Failure?

A good friend of mine had one on take off in Orlando. Landed it in a loading dock and got out and asked the dock worker for a smoke while waiting for the blades to stop. smoking-smiley-5437.gif (A bit of an exaggeration, but extremely well done.) You should hear the first hand account. He made eye contact with the guy mid flare. Slid to a stop right in front of the dock with not a scratch on it. Apparently the splines stripped on the t/r driveshaft.

Edited by C of G
  • Like 1

A good friend of mine had one on take off in Orlando. Landed it in a loading dock and got out and asked the dock worker for a smoke while waiting for the blades to stop. smoking-smiley-5437.gif (A bit of an exaggeration, but extremely well done.) You should hear the first hand account. He made eye contact with the guy mid flare. Slid to a stop right in front of the dock with not a scratch on it. Apparently the splines stripped on the t/r driveshaft.

I wonder whose (fish) story got bigger? The pilot or the dock worker when they told their friends??? :D