Pilots in South Africa?

BenT

Howzit all?

Are there any pilots currently working in South Africa who use this forum?

I am currently doing my flight training in the US and am thinking about returning to South Africa when I have completed my training, if I am unable to find a job here (or the surrounding countries).

I wanted to find out how relevant it would be to get my Instrument rating while doing my Commercial license here in the US? I have heard from several people that it is not too important at this stage because the only time a helicopter pilot would fly IFR would be during Off Shore operations or in the EMS (I'm sure there are other times too), but initially, as a low time (hour) pilot, the majority of the jobs available would not require a pilot with Instrument rating. Would you agree with this?

Also, will I have to convert my FAA license to be able to fly in South Africa? I don't know where to find out this information.

I am aware that the most common positions available for low hour pilot would be as a CFI. I would prefer not to be a CFI (first preference) and will exhaust all opportunities before I will begin CFI training. If this will be the case, then I will get my Instrument rating.

So, basically, what I am trying to establish is: Should I get my Instrument rating now (in the R22) while doing my Commercial license or should I wait until a later stage in my career?

I would appreciate any feedback and it doesn't necessarily have to be from pilots in South Africa only. I am willing to listen to any advice which someone is willing to offer.

Many thanks guys & girls.

Don't know about Africa but in the states most jobs require an instrument rating even though many only fly vfr. It's easiest to do it now than later. Also if you plan to work in the states then plan to get your cfi/cfii. You're going to waste more time and money trying to figure out a shortcut to the industry here then if you just get the rating teach for a bit. There's also a better chance of you finding a different job other than teaching if you have your cfi rating. If you plan to go to Africa after school then nothing I just said is relevant at all as I have no idea how the industry works down there. I can tell you however that down there you'll probably find the quickest and cheapest way to move forward will be just like here meaning, don't waste all you time/energy/money trying to find the shortcut in the industry.

• Like 1

I am aware that the most common positions available for low hour pilot would be as a CFI. I would prefer not to be a CFI (first preference) and will exhaust all opportunities before I will begin CFI training. If this will be the case, then I will get my Instrument rating.

I've spent five and a half years "exhausting all opportunities" to find a job without being a CFI, so,...well,...good luck with that. :rolleyes:

If I were you, I'd get my Instrument Rating, but in an S300 (to make myself more versitile in the CFII market). If you aren't a CFI, most companies still want the IR (even to fly VFR ONLY helicopters!), I guess it lowers their insurance, or something?

:)

• Like 1

I've spent five and a half years "exhausting all opportunities" to find a job without being a CFI, so,...well,...good luck with that. :rolleyes:

at what point are you going to stop complaining, or find a different forum to frequent? I think we ALL know that you dont have a job, and all have a strong opinion why that is.

• Like 1

at what point are you going to stop complaining, or find a different forum to frequent? I think we ALL know that you dont have a job, and all have a strong opinion why that is.

I'm not complaining. I'm just letting someone else who doesn't want to teach know what's in store for him.

If you don't like my posts, then stop reading them.

• Like 2