Type 1 USFS Contracts

Has the USFS issued all of the exclusive use type 1 contracts? I have heard a nasty rumor that no S-61s received one.

Don’t recall any EXCLUSIVE USE awards to S-61’s. You may find a few on Call-when-needed. There was a big demand for the S-61 (w/Carson Blades) along with a call for both pilots and mechanics in Afghanistan on High dollar US Gov. contracts.

Carson said the hell with the USFS, more money servicing the war machine in Afghanistan. Companies like Construction Helicopters are even putting together S-61 ships and crews for Afghanistan.

You can find that award w/ $price at the following link:

USFS Large Fire Contract Awards 2012

• Like 1

Sorry to go off topic, but Evergreen and Colombia were the others I heard of which won contracts for heavy lift support in Afghanistan late last year. If any of you guys want to pay off your debts and make $50,000 on top of that, go do a year over in Afghanistan. Last time I heard, the pilots of Presidential Airways were making $250,000 in a year and working maybe 8-9 months. Of course, a good chunk of that was taxable unfortunately. But none the less, good money.

Presidential Airways at the time (2009) were flying Pumas and S61's around Afghanistan. I only saw the Pumas doing some external load every now and then. Never did I see the S61s do it. They worked from around 5am to about 3pm. Never any night flights. Aircraft were never armed, but individual crew members carried weapons. All they did at the time was fly people and cargo from point A to point B to point C. At the time I believe they worked 60 days on with 30 days off.

I'm sure things have changed a bit since then, but for the most part that's what you can expect. It's a lot of flying (from what I saw) but if you can spare a year to make the family extremely happy, pay off all your debts, AND go on a vacation, it's all worth it.

Edited by RagMan

Thanks rag man, I had heard rumors but I wasn't sure. Aparently the S-61 is still black listed. :(

NO WAY is it Black listed...... You'll see it back on fires again too.

New S-61T Helos for the US Government

Allies Absent in Afghanistan - Helicopters Hired

Aviation: Department Of State Enters 5 Year IDIQ Agreement For Up To 110 S-61 T Helicopters

Attempting to quiet rumors of secret government flights over Billings, a local flight business says it’s using a large cargo helicopter to train pilots for a private company formerly owned by Blackwater.

Sikorsky Delivers 1st Upgraded S-61 Helicopter To State Department

Presidential Airways at the time (2009) were flying Pumas and S61's around Afghanistan. I only saw the Pumas doing some external load every now and then. Never did I see the S61s do it.

That's correct, the S-61was used 99% of the time for people and cargo.

Edited by iChris