USN 0-1 to WOFT

I am a Navy O-1 that was flying as a student pilot when I made the decision to fly helicopters for the Army rather than the Navy. I was doing very well with the training but realized I would not enjoy flying in the Navy. I wanted more options and challenges, and the Army is the best fit. I was told that the transition was possible and I withdrew from flight training to pursue a interservice transfer. Unfortunately, the Navy is not retaining anyone long enough to transfer so I have to enter the WOFT program as a civilian.

I have read many forums and have got a lot of information on the application process and was wondering if anyone has heard of a situation like this in the past? Any advice would be appreciated.

If you have flight training it will only help your application. Military service is also a plus. It might be hard to justify quitting Navy flight school but your story is unique to you. Sounds like you will be competing against the civilians. Best of luck, keep us posted and welcome to VR.

Well first off, you have already quit one flight school. That doesn't look good, especially because your only reason was that you didn't think you were going to like it. That aside...

According to AR 601-210 Paragraph 9-10b you are not even eligible for WOFT.

If enlisting for WOFT, the applicant must—

8. Not have attended or have been eliminated or graduated from a previous course of military-sponsored flight or preflight instruction program.

http://www.apd.army....es/r601_210.pdf

Edited by SBuzzkill

Wait, you quit the navy to fly for the army, while in flight school? Why? Most naval aviators fly helicopters anyway. Sure, the Army flies cooler ones, but thats what we do.

I think a post of mine was deleted, so here goes again. Most Naval Aviators do not fly helicopters. All Naval Aviators start out flying fixed wing, from there they go by thirds into jets, props, helos, approximately. The Army Aviators on the other hand all start out as rotary wing pilots.

I think a post of mine was deleted, so here goes again. Most Naval Aviators do not fly helicopters. All Naval Aviators start out flying fixed wing, from there they go by thirds into jets, props, helos, approximately. The Army Aviators on the other hand all start out as rotary wing pilots.

Yeah, you might want to check your numbers again. Last time I checked, Navy guys can select Maritime (P-3s or E-6s), Tailhook (several flavors of F-18 or E/C-2), then Helos. For Marines it's C-130s, Helos, Strike, or Tilt. For Coasties it's Maritime or Helos (they do things differently than the rest of DoN though).

...and yes nowadays the majority of Naval Aviators are helo pilots. If you count 55% as a majority. If you see what I'm getting at.