Age Waiver

Yes, I know at least one guy that was almost 36. He was NG and already a member of the unit. Someone starting from scratch at 36 might have more trouble since most Guard units seem to take prior service guys. I've only ever seen prior service age waivers, personally.

I have 6 years prior service and am going to try to active duty street to seat. I know my odds are low on getting the age waiver, but I feel I have to try. I figure with numbers like 33 applicants to 19 slots, they may approve my waiver just to have more people to look at during the board.

Who knows... I'll keep everyone posted.

Has anyone ever heard of a 36 year old making it into flight school? And if you have, were they active or reserve/guard.

I had 8 yrs prior service and was a 1500hr dual rated CFI working as an LE pilot and mine was denied for the CA Guard. I wasnt still in at the time though. This was about 2yrs ago. I was 35. The State Aviation Officer wouldnt even look at packets requesting age waivers. The Reserves said it wasnt even an option. I tried doing the "dont take no for an answer route" and was actually told to stop calling. Active wasnt even possible. That wasnt even a discussion. However, everyone of them told me all about the benefits of re-enlisting..... yeah... OK, and Ill be 3yrs past the limit before I even get back from AIT and a deployment!

However, I started calling around and was told that the TX Guard was giving age waivers out like free toilet paper. I never followed up on the accuracy of that though. The other issue I ran into was getting the recommendations. I dont know any mil pilots. The Guard commander told me, "I dont even know you, but I have a stack of guys here that Ive served in combat with. Who would you put your name on?" Cant say I disagree. Let it run its course though. At least I know. Im not sitting here playing the "If only I had done -------" game.

Edited by Flying Pig

You cant beat a free (free financially anyway) flight training flying awesome aircraft. I enjoyed the military. If I could have gone back in as a pilot to finish out my time...or more, it would have been pretty much everyting I could have ever wanted. Cop, fly LE helicopters and airplane and be a military pilot. Oh well..... I guess Ill have live with getting most of my dream :D

Edited by Flying Pig
  • Like 1