What was your first job after instructing?

ralpez

Add me to the never flight instructed list. Working on FOI right now and getting ground instructor rating until I get the time to do the flying part.

I went to my first job flying piston tours with fresh ink on my Instrument and Commercial ticket. Technically I was hired with around 50 hours rotorcraft time but I finished the Instrument before I started the season and showed for the first day of work with 100 hours.

Most of my hours were in Bell 47 and time in type is what made me insurable.

Edited by Rogue

My first job after instruction was a tuna boat pilot.

My third and fourth flying job after the tuna boat gig was a return to flight instruction….

Instruction can be a fun gig especially at the advanced levels. However, touchdown after touchdown seems to be the thing of the past……

• 6 months later...

This is my first post here, after lurking for a bit. I'm considering flight school here in PDX (Hillsboro Aviation) but I grew up in Juneau, AK and worked for Temsco as a teen. I'm sure there are people that could shed light on what life is like in AK as a pilot for Temsco, but I'll throw in my $0.02 based on the 21 years I spent in AK, work at Temsco hustling tourists in and out of helo's and interacting with pilots.

1.) Juneau is a great place to VISIT. There are only 2 real job choices. Seasonal or the State. Believe it or not, landing a decent paying state gig (it's office work) is easier than you think. That is, if you can handle the dreary 6 - 7 months out of the year. There isn't a lot to do in the town, so don't go expecting nightlife. However, the women are easy, and you probably only have to quietly saying something about "pilot" in the general vicinity of a group of women and they're on you.

2.) Working for Temsco: Around April I believe they start hiring full staff, if they bring on pilots earlier, I wouldn't know - but they're working in April. Prepare to be grounded many days between April/June, due to rain. It is ALWAYS jam packed with tourists, and not sure if anyone has mentioned this in other threads, but you can get some pretty good tips. Most pilots I spoke with came from all over the West to get hours, and now I can clearly see why. Paid turbine time in a chill city with nothing but rich tourists...not a tough call.

If you have any questions about life in Juneau, let me know, happy to help where I can. I will rely on everyone else here for heli info, so I think that's fair!