CH33 GI Bill FAA Medical requirements?

I asked about the dual option. It's a no go at our school right now with VA. Both heli and airplane fall under the same major of Professional Pilot at our school. VA will only pay for courses that school says are required to graduate which means you only get to take one PPL, INST, COMM etc.

They ARE looking at adding electives for addons to become dual certified down the road. So once you finish Heli you could add the airplane equivalents, but probably not all of them.

A good way to use the CH33 benefits post degree might be for a type rating at a manufacture? I know the airline guys use to use CH30 for a 737 pretty often.

Edited by wickedsprint

Hey guys, under the old CH 30 GI Bill we needed to maintain a 2nd class medical or higher to get VA reimbursement for our ratings or risk not getting paid.

With the Post 9/11 GI Bill towards a degree seeking program at 100% reimbursement...do they care what level of FAA medical we carry?

Our VA rep at school does not know.

I'm guessing it's viewed as a degree and not flight training...therefore the VA does not care.

The following is the requirements under Chapter 30; however, there is no such language under the full-time degree program in Chapter 33 with respect to medical requirements. However, I’m sure the school/institution has a medical requirement.

You should remember, most of these VA offices, at best have maybe 3 out of 20 who have ever read Chapter 33 in full (20 pages). Most all these VA guys and gals, don't read, they learn by word-of-mouth and second-hand assumptions from co-workers, who also don't read.

You should read Chapter 33 in full, first Ref. below.

Chapter 30, Sec 3034, page 440 (see ref.)

d) The Secretary may approve the pursuit of flight training (in addition to a course of flight training that may be approved under section 3680A;b of this title) by an individual entitled to basic educational assistance under this chapter if—

1) such training is generally accepted as necessary for the attainment of a recognized vocational objective in the field of aviation;

2) the individual possesses a valid private pilot certificate and meets, on the day the individual begins a course of flight training, the medical requirements necessary for a commercial pilot certificate; and

(3) the flight school courses are approved by the Federal Aviation Administration and are offered by a certified pilot school that possesses a valid Federal Aviation Administration pilot school certificate.

Chapter 33, Sec 3313, page 478 & 482 (see ref.). Also read Sec 3311, page 476

PROGRAMS OF EDUCATION LEADING TO A DEGREE PURSUED AT INSTITUTIONS OF HIGHER LEARNING ON MORE THAN HALF-TIME BASIS.—The amounts payable under this subsection for pursuit of an approved program of education leading to a degree at an institution of higher learning (as that term is defined in section 3452f)) are amounts as follows:

C) In the case of an individual enrolled in a program of education consisting of flight training (regardless of the institution providing such program of education), an amount equal to—

the lesser of— I) the actual net cost for in-State tuition and fees assessed by the institution concerned for the program of education after the application of— aa) any waiver of, or reduction in, tuition and fees; and bb) any scholarship, or other Federal, State, institutional, or employer based aid or assistance (other than loans and any funds provided under section 401b) of the Higher Education Act of 1965) that is provided directly to the institution and specifically designated for the sole purpose of defraying tuition and fees;

or II) the amount equal to— aa) for the academic year beginning on August 1, 2011, $10,000; or bb) for an academic year beginning on any subsequent August 1, the amount for the previous academic year beginning on August 1 under this subclause, as increased by the percentage increase equal to the most recent percentage increase determined under section 3015(h), multiplied by.....

REF: Title 38; USC; Part III; Chap 33

The United States Code is the codification by subject matter of the general and permanent laws of the United States (Select Title 38)

Edited by iChris

The following is the requirements under Chapter 30; however, there is no such language under the full-time degree program in Chapter 33 with respect to medical requirements. However, I’m sure the school/institution has a medical requirement.

You should remember, most of these VA offices, at best have maybe 3 out of 20 who have ever read Chapter 33 in full (20 pages). Most all these VA guys and gals, don't read, they learn by word-of-mouth and second-hand assumptions from co-workers, who also don't read.

You should read read Chapter 33 in full, first Ref. below.

d) The Secretary may approve the pursuit of flight training (in addition to a course of flight training that may be approved under section 3680A;b of this title) by an individual entitled to basic educational assistance under this chapter if—

1) such training is generally accepted as necessary for the attainment of a recognized vocational objective in the field of aviation;

2) the individual possesses a valid private pilot certificate and meets, on the day the individual begins a course of flight training, the medical requirements necessary for a commercial pilot certificate; and

(3) the flight school courses are approved by the Federal Aviation Administration and are offered by a certified pilot school that possesses a valid Federal Aviation Administration pilot school certificate.

PROGRAMS OF EDUCATION LEADING TO A DEGREE PURSUED AT INSTITUTIONS OF HIGHER LEARNING ON MORE THAN HALF-TIME BASIS.—The amounts payable under this subsection for pursuit of an approved program of education leading to a degree at an institution of higher learning (as that term is defined in section 3452f)) are amounts as follows:

C) In the case of an individual enrolled in a program of education consisting of flight training (regardless of the institution providing such program of education), an amount equal to—

the lesser of— I) the actual net cost for in-State tuition and fees assessed by the institution concerned for the program of education after the application of— aa) any waiver of, or reduction in, tuition and fees; and bb) any scholarship, or other Federal, State, institutional, or employer based aid or assistance (other than loans and any funds provided under section 401b) of the Higher Education Act of 1965) that is provided directly to the institution and specifically designated for the sole purpose of defraying tuition and fees;

or II) the amount equal to— aa) for the academic year beginning on August 1, 2011, $10,000; or bb) for an academic year beginning on any subsequent August 1, the amount for the previous academic year beginning on August 1 under this subclause, as increased by the percentage increase equal to the most recent percentage increase determined under section 3015(h), multiplied by.....

The United States Code is the codification by subject matter of the general and permanent laws of the United States (Select Title 38)

THAT'S what I was looking for! I knew it had to be available somewhere.

You should read read Chapter 33 in full, first Ref. below.

Thanks for taking the time to post this :)

What we've done under chapter 30 in the past was the student usually takes out a loan through Pilot Finance which pays for the training up front. We run the packet through the VA every month. Approximately 2-6 months later the student's get a check from the VA for varying amounts, but after all is said and done it usually adds up to 60% of the total cost of training. That's what I've been told. It sounds like a really poor choice if there is an option to use chapter 33 benefits.

Find a school hooked up with a college at 100% and do what you gotta go to get in state tuition covered. Going to the right school means no loans.

Yeah but I thought the whole big selling point of CH33 was it only had to be an "approved school" to get 100%. Does the approved school have to be a college degree seeking school or does a part 141 school count?

The $10k a year is the Vocational stipulation under CH 33.

Velocity: Just out of curiosity, why do you NEED to go the CH 30 route? Are there no VA approved programs around you? If not, are you unable to move?

Also, wickedsprint, I personally know more than a few people that are out-of-state tuition students that are still receiving their VA benefits. I'm not entirely sure it matters...

Velocity: Just out of curiosity, why do you NEED to go the CH 30 route? Are there no VA approved programs around you? If not, are you unable to move?

Also, wickedsprint, I personally know more than a few people that are out-of-state tuition students that are still receiving their VA benefits. I'm not entirely sure it matters...

The out of state tuition students may have to pay some out of pocket depending on school. Our school broke down the difference and it wasn't very much.

The out of state guys I know aren't paying anything extra. Remember, it's based on the highest cost of in state tuition. Meaning if there is a college anywhere in the state that is more expensive for a class than the school you're going to, the more expensive class would be the cap. At least that's my understanding of it.

The out of state guys I know aren't paying anything extra. Remember, it's based on the highest cost of in state tuition. Meaning if there is a college anywhere in the state that is more expensive for a class than the school you're going to, the more expensive class would be the cap. At least that's my understanding of it.

I'd still suggest trying to get the yellow ribbon scholarship. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that here.

I'd still suggest trying to get the yellow ribbon scholarship. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that here.

It couldn't hurt. But....

If you are enrolled in a degree program that consists of flight training at a public Institution of Higher Learning you can be reimbursed up to the public school in-state cost of the training, and receive a monthly housing allowance and the books and supplies stipend.

That was pulled straight from gibill.va.gov. Stands to reason that if you go to a cheaper school (community college vs university) then you'd be covered for out of state tuition.

My reasoning...

Random Gen-Ed at a Community College, In state: $300

Random Gen-Ed, Community Colege, Out of state: $350

Random Gen-Ed, University, In state: $400.

The VA covers the costs at the University. I know because a friend of mine is attending ASU right now using CH 33 and hasn't paid anything out of pocket. I've got a flight tomorrow. I'll ask some of the out of state students if they've had to pay anything out of pocket and report back.

I wasn't looking to attend a college flight program, just a Part 141 school. From what I've read that would only be reembursed up to 60%. I was just going to use fixedwing multi engine as an add on in case I switch over in the future. Probably not going to happen though since I can't think of any fixedwing spots that would be more enjoyable than my current job flying helos. Also I like airplanes (own one) but not enough to quit my job and go attend college to get a degree and ratings I'll probably never use.