500E Mx checklist

Flying Pig

Does anyone have a return to service maintenance check list they go by for the pilot? Right now, both the mechanic and I do an extremely thorough pre-flight together. They I go fly. Do the regular things associated with hover check, auto rotation RPM, etc. I am just looking to see if anyone has an actual pilot checklist they use.

I see MD has an Mx Test Pilot Course they offer, but I doubt the Dept would send me to that. The mechanics tell me the information they want, power checks, etc. Just wondering if any other operators out there have anything spelled out other than whats in the POH

This is totally separate of the rags I have found in the dog house, the socket wrench I have found in the engine compartment, the spool of safety wire in the battery compartment...... (No, not all the same mech :D )

Edited by Flying Pig

FP,

Did you contact MD or their tech rep about one? I attended a Functional Check pilot course at Bell some years ago.

May I suggest using some procedures that I have developed through the years.

1. Know what maintenance is being addressed as far as hour/calendar items plus AD, ASBs & items written up.

2. Look thru the MM for items scheduled to know what you should address during the return to service flight. Make a checklist.

3. Go thru a visual inspection of the items with the A&P/IA as a preflight before cowling up & enclosing the airframe. Be there for the QC check and have them discuss each item verified as correct.

4. Prior to initial ground run, verify fluid levels and battery strength. Have A&P with you and record start times and temps., etc. Shut down, and recheck fluid levels.

5. Take the A&P along on the RTS flight and have them monitor & note everything from start time, TOT, Q, etc. Run a power assurance check and record it in the log. Remember to note the Alt. setting, set it to 29.92 for the Pwr. Assur. check and then back to current setting.

6. Check all systems worked on for operational correctness. This requires some systems knowledge. Check MM for guidelines and also note requirements for re-torques, recurring AD sign offs, etc.

7. After cool down/shutdown, do a good post flight inspection again checking fluid levels and leak check.

8. If airworthiness is validated by the flight. Sign off log as RTS completed satisfactorily.

• 2 weeks later...

I see MD has an Mx Test Pilot Course they offer, but I doubt the Dept would send me to that. The mechanics tell me the information they want, power checks, etc. Just wondering if any other operators out there have anything spelled out other than whats in the POH

Check with MD, they should have something new; however, there was an old Army OH-6 Maintenance Test Flight Manual. Not really a check list per se, but interesting.

Download Link:

Army OH-6 Maintenance Test Check List