AOPA Pilot Protection Services

THE_COYOTE

I don't have it, but one of my instructors years back said it was a must have. If you ever need to go to war with the FAA, it's the best weapon you could arm yourself with.

I buy it every year but never had to use them.....yet.

• Like 2

If you're even thinking of enrolling, join *before* something bad happens. Coverage doesn't apply (as a friend of mine found out the hard way) to things that occur prior to enrollment. Ruh-roh!

Friend of mine had a small "event" with a helicopter which he thought was "no big deal" but that brought him to the attention of the federales who turned it into a Big Deal. Realizing that he was going to need representation, he joined the AOPA (not a bad idea in itself) and was going to sign up for their legal services plan when he found out that the Big Deal would not be covered retroactively.

Oops! And oh well...

Its worth having if it gives you peace of mine. But like all things read the fine print. The AOPA is a good organization. But gee's they go over board with the mailings. The Monthly mag is ok. They are on a serious glass cockpit kick. To the point were if you don't have glass in an aircraft the aircraft is an almost in orphan status.

It's okay, but not much more than you'd get with something like prepaid legal. The AOPA legal services plans have very little coverage, and they don't cover you for the appeal process; only the initial enforcement action.

Many pilots fail to realize that under administrative law when dealing with the FAA, you're considered guilty until proven innocent...your first chance to defend yourself is after you've already suffered enforcement action. That's when you need legal coverage, and that's when the AOPA plan doesn't cover you.

The AOPA life insurance, ironically, doesn't cover you if you're killed while flying an aircraft, either. Go figure.

• Like 1

It's okay, but not much more than you'd get with something like prepaid legal. The AOPA legal services plans have very little coverage, and they don't cover you for the appeal process; only the initial enforcement action.

Many pilots fail to realize that under administrative law when dealing with the FAA, you're considered guilty until proven innocent...your first chance to defend yourself is after you've already suffered enforcement action. That's when you need legal coverage, and that's when the AOPA plan doesn't cover you.

The AOPA life insurance, ironically, doesn't cover you if you're killed while flying an aircraft, either. Go figure.

That makes it about as worthless as square tires. Good thing I didn't sign up. Is there some service that you would recommend? Or are we just SOL?

It's not worthless, but it's not a great deal of protection, either. For what it costs, its still a great deal...just bear in mind that it won't offer protection. Think of it as consultation at a heck of a bargain.

In the initial stages of enforcement action, when considering to respond to a letter of investigation or to attend the informal meeting, getting good sound legal counsel is important. The AOPA legal plan does cover you at those times, and they have staff available to answer your questions.

Consider the cost of an attorney for consultation, and if your'e getting six hours in the plan at say, a hundred bucks, you're still better off with that limited coverage than having to pay several hundred dollars an hour for the same service directly from an attorney.

• Like 1

Thought I would share this article I wrote last year on pilot liability. It is a personal/supplemental pilot liability insurance policy sold by X Insurance.

http://www.justhelic...Everything.aspx

Disclaimer 1 - Yes, XInsurance is an advertising customer.

Diclaimer 2 - Although they are a customer.....I am a customer of theirs. I personally pay for my own personal supplemental liability policy. As a professional career pilot, I think it is a worthwhile policy to have. If I need to hire my own attorney to represent me in a situation, or if there are gaps in a company's liability policy that opens me up to $$ risk, or if I bang one up and the company hangs me out to dry....I have some coverage. I pay about $400 per year for my policy.