Question about Salaries

I was browsing the HelicopterSalaries.com page the other day and looking at some of the tables and ran across some with both years and steps. Here is a snippet from the Air Methods page:

OKRUyG8.jpg?1

Am I correct in assuming that one should move diagonally across the tablet to figure out the predicted pay raises?

For example, if someone started in 2012 at step 0-1 ($58,234), would it make sense that in the 2nd year, they should be at $60,365, rather than $59,181? I.E a typical raise of $2k vs $1k.

Also, how accurate are these tables and figures? Does Air Methods strictly follow this somewhat like the regional airline tables, or is there negotiation, both up and down, from these numbers?

• Like 1

I would have studied if I'd known there was going to be a test.

Here goes-

Hired in 2011 at $57,092, move one block to the right 1 Jan 2012 to, $58,234 and down one block $59,181 at hire date anniversary. Repeat each 1 Jan and anniversary. The 2013 column is the last tabulation until an amended contract, so one moves down every anniversary (I believe).

An experienced new hire can negotiate entry on the table up to five years experience, but is frozen at that point for 5 years. That's the ONLY salary negotiation allowed by contract. Please prove me wrong and set a precedent for the next round of negotiations...

There are supplements agreed, such as cost of living in various locations, lead pilot pay, ATP, etc., and some bases are considered "hard to fill" with a bonus payable if you accept assignment there.

Edited by Wally
  • Like 1

That chart is for mins for SE. ME IFR guys get more in most companies. As Wally said hard to fill places offer bonuses. Some can top 10 grand per year. Most have safety bonuses as well. Then of course as we all have said, overtime is abundant. So while the chart doesn't paint a pretty picture for pay, most guys are making 10-15 grand additional per year and only working half the year.

What's funny is, I got hired and forgot to ask what my starting salary was! I had to call my friend on the way home to see what we make. The difference in pay in EMS is marginal and I wasn't really concerned about pay anyway.

• Like 1

That chart is for mins for SE. ME IFR guys get more in most companies.

Nope- the CBA chart is the scale, period.

Multi-engine, IFR have no additional compensation from AMC. The supplemental pay is as I listed.

I would love to be wrong.

If there is a union contract, it will specify what the pay is, and the company is legally obligated to honor the contract. In non-union companies, the company can change pay at its whim, up or down, and you might be able to negotiate. Some companies consider total time, instrument time, ATP rating, time in the aircraft, number of jobs in the past few years, and other stuff, and may put you somewhere in the pay scale based on all that. There is no standard for any of this, without a CBA.

Saying that you work only half the year is very misleading. If you work a 12 hour shift, 7/7, you will work more hours than someone who works a regular 9 to 5 job over the course of a year.

• Like 1

the former omni pilots kept their $4000 IFR pay

I don't have any knowledge of that fact.The Local 109 has maintained that it is appropriate that there be an IFR supplement, and certain cases of existing supplements were continued when that body of employees was brought into the bargaining unit. The point is that one has to be receiving the supplement from a company that's becoming part of Air Methods, they will continue to honor that obligation.

A new hire will meet all company standards, one of which is IFR and is stated as a "core pilot skill" to be possessed by all AMC pilots. You won't get an IFR supplement.

It is what it is.