Exceeding Max Gross Weight

Its a matter of semantics but I've said the same thing. If "Safety" is your primary concern you would be at home in a bubble, you are looking to fly this thing as safely as practical,(which sometimes means not going if the flight cant be made safely) the two are different.

• Like 1

Things may have changed in the military. There's an old saying, "The Army ain't like it used to be. And it never was". But back when I was flying Hueys for my rich uncle, Sam, we really never had any clue how much weight we were picking up. We just loaded them on and got it off the ground however we could. You didn't leave grunts in the LZ. They finally came out with a power check to do on the ground, to make sure you were within weight limits, but we mostly ignored it. Times & circumstances change, and now nobody is shooting at me except with their phone cameras. You can depend on those, almost every time you take off or land. So now I try to make sure my weight is at least close to limits, and that I can demonstrate that to an inspector. It's impossible to know for sure that I'm not a little over gross, because I don't weigh myself every day, the fuel gauge is only an approximation, and the pax weights are guesstimates at best, but the feds allow the use of standard passenger weights, and as long as you make a reasonable effort to abide by the limits you should be fine.