First student!

Wow, congrats man! Welcome to the other side of the desk. Everyone is nervous for the first few weeks, don't let the stress or excitement keep you from doing the basics of what you've trained all this time for. I remember how excited I was for my first demo flight, I had to run back into the office three times because I kept forgetting things like my headset and the keys.

Good Luck and remember that we're always here to answer questions for you.

Sometimes it will seem like the student's primary job is to try and kill you. Don't ever turn your back on your student, figuratively speaking. Even when they seem to have it down, keep checking. All it takes is a moment and they will surprise you.

• 3 weeks later...

From a newer instructor myself...Pray, stay relaxed, prepare well, and never let down your guard!

How exactly are you supposed to stay relaxed while not letting your guard down? 5 years of instructing and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Practically ghost flying the controls. The few times I relaxed led to a hard lesson. I would say, learn how to ACT like you are relaxed. It helps put the student at ease. But DON'T actually relax. The moment you relax, your student will do something unexpected. In my experience, the best students (the ones who are passionate and seem to just get it intuitively) are the ones that make the biggest mistakes, usually when you least expect it. Build confidence in your students, not egos. Be judicious of how you compliment your students. If you heap sugar on them they will think they are invincible and that can lead to hazardous attitudes, and also make it harder for them when they have to take some criticism. Prepare for your lessons. Know what you are doing for the lesson before the student walks in the door. Constantly look for new and better ways to teach. A professional is always striving for improvement, and there is always room for it!

Hmmm...that's a good question! I just know that when I was instructing, I always felt on edge, and yet at the same time it went best when I was "somewhat relaxed" lol! The same went for flying. The more relaxed you are, the smoother you fly. I don't mean to not pay attention or to kick back and "relax" as it were, but rather just don't fly too worked up. If that makes any sense.

• Like 1