Army aeromedical exception to policy Q?

I was selected at the Jan 13 board for the US Army WOFT program while I was mobilized. I have orders to attend WOC in February, with follow on WOFT. I went to Ft.Hood last week so my Class 1w would be current, as required. I flew through everything until optometry, where they found a very small retinal hemorrhage. The doctor was initially very concerned, as was I. I have gone back 2 times since and have undergone literally every sight/eye exam they can throw at me, as well as total health review to rule out endemic disease which can cause this, and have come out "within normal limits" and healthy in all regards.

I am an avid weight lifter, and frequently strain on particularly heavy squats, bench, deadlifts etc, but always with proper form. I have never injured myself in any way, and it is concensus of multiple army optometrists and flight surgeons that this retinal hemorrhage is resultant of this straining and is not likely to reoccure or cause future problems with sight. The flight surgeon is optimistic about putting in a disqualified - exception to policy physical for me. My question is... will I be able to attend WOC on this, before the ETP gets approved. He states that since I check out in all regards as healthy, and since I have a previous spotless Class 1W initial, that I shouldn't have any problems. I am of course pseudo panicking at this point. Does anyone have similar experience or insight? BTW, I am a reservist and already assigned to an aviation unit. I gave up an elite position in the army for this opportunity, pissing off a lot of people in the process... I don't want my Army career to crash because I got a little too weight crazy a few workouts ago.

Fwiw, I was not aware of the possibility of this injury, and have always viewed my health as Paramount importance. I will be altering my fitness routine to prevent this in my future.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I know, and how it operated while I was at HHC was that you needed a fully qualified flight physical to attend WOCS, which doesn't make a lot of sense, because you just take another one before starting BOLC.

Actually, it makes perfect sense. Why would they let you attend WOCS for the purpose of WOFT if you are not known to be fully medically qualified?

As far as the necessity of taking another one right before BOLC, that is up for discussion.

Yes, my point was worded rather moronically, I don't see the purpose of both, prove you're qualified to start AND do one right after. Fully agree with being medically qual'd prior to start.

Class 1 is good for 18 months. By the time you start BOLC you're approaching that time frame therefore a Class 2 is needed to stay medically "current." No current physical, no fly pay. :(

To the OP, I'd recommend calling the Optometrist at Lyster and tell them your situation. They should be able to issue a waiver if needed.