Another old guy question

maybeme

*MODs feel free to re-class this or post it where appropriate and edit if needed*

So....I'm 51 and looking to obtain my Helo license including instrument rating through local community college (about 18 month program). Using college because I don't have the assest base for local flight school. For the record I have no prior flight training, can pass the medical, and currently weigh 206lbs. I love all things mechanical and have a life long love of helicopters. I have flown as a passenger several times in different locations (Alaska, Hawaii, Oregon). I know I can survive the schooling and believe that I am more than capable of learning the how to of operating the craft.

Two questionsn(for now):

What are my employment options?

Am I being realistic?

Thanks

Maybeme, let me start by saying that I too am an old guy (coming up on 61). I started taking lessons last August with no intentions of getting a license. Now, 75 hours later, I'm preparing for my PPL check ride. I have no aspirations of doing this for a living. From what I've seen, the path to a professional career in helicopter flying is a very long and expensive venture and there are a lot of folks in line waiting for the next available slot in the commercial market. Lots of time building as a CFI making minimum wage - trying to get enough hours to even garner attention.

I'm sure that most anyone can do it, but I'm also sure that the folks on this forum that have paid their dues - especially the ones without the benefit of military training will tell you - do the homework/financial analysis, investment etc. and go in fully prepared.

• Like 1

Maybeme, do you want to do this so you can fly helicopters? You can probably buy a helicopter and pay for lessons to fly it cheaper than getting all your ratings…especially when you calculate the “Opportunity Costs”, lost wages during the process.

So the question is do you really just want a new career or to fly helicopters?

Your employment options are minimal until you get your CFI-R. After that, they don't increase much until you get 1,000 hours. Between 1,500 and 2,000 hours your employment opportunities will open up substantially.

*MODs feel free to re-class this or post it where appropriate and edit if needed*

So....I'm 51 and looking to obtain my Helo license including instrument rating through local community college (about 18 month program). Using college because I don't have the assest base for local flight school. For the record I have no prior flight training, can pass the medical, and currently weigh 206lbs. I love all things mechanical and have a life long love of helicopters. I have flown as a passenger several times in different locations (Alaska, Hawaii, Oregon). I know I can survive the schooling and believe that I am more than capable of learning the how to of operating the craft.

Two questionsn(for now):

What are my employment options?

Am I being realistic?

Thanks

At 61, a rating after 18 months puts you at 62-63.

Then, the most likely course to follow is CFI/I for a year or two, if you can swing it,

not making any real money. Then you get to 1000 hours, and now you're 64-65. Kinda old to fly tours and get to 1500-2000 hours for a real job, and then... what?

I know EMS pilots that old, I am 64.5 and starting to feel it, and I'm not the oldest.

I knew Gulf of Mexico pilots that age but they were also losing some of that "shine".

Perhaps utility- magic all flown by wizards, Gandalf is old but ageless.

Aerial application?

What and for how long?

If this is for you and those are silly questions, because ROI on a dream isn't usually a consideration. I can understand that. Good luck. You can do this. In my few years as an instructor, I met one guy I couldn't teach and one guy who had the ratings but was intellectually unsuited...

You can do this, but the odds are high and the financial side is weak.

All good advice given above. I say if you have the dream and the financial means don't let anyone or anything get in your way. Since your only 51 you have a lot of good years left in you, not to mention a lot of life experience which will help you along through the process. Most of all have blast!

The next 15 years should be your highest earning time. Your social security is based on your past years of income, and you are looking at very little income in the coming years, so your social security will be disappointing at best. And that will last for the rest of your life. Think long and hard before you start down this path. Again, this will have a negative effect on your income for the rest of your life, forever. You really need to be doing something that earns money these days, even if it isn't exciting. Eating catfood in your 70s isn't that exciting, either.

Thanks all. a bit more about all this. I'm in a no end job for a company that no longer needs me. I will be changing jobs and most likely back in some type of school. This is mostly a dream but would be my employment also. We have lived on little for many years so moderate income doesn't bother me. Speaking of moderate income are any of you willing to share real numbers? I live in the Northwest and would prefer to stay in this area. Thanks again.

I'd consider moving to North Dakota...many...many opportunities...and top pay!

Example: They are training truck drivers who are making $100,000. My brother drives over-the-road and I’m trying to persuade him to go up there.

Save up for a year, and buy your own helicopter for under $40,000 all day long.

Here’s a recent Hannity show on jobs in ND. There are thousands of job openings. There are some job links at the bottom of his page.

http://www.hannity.com/pages/get-america-back-to-work

RigZone

http://www.rigzone.com/jobs/search_jobs.asp

Otherwise, most of the jobs are in Texas...that's why I'm here.

1. Drop 20 lbs

2. Get Private, Instrument, Commercial, Instructor, Instrument Instructor ratings

3. Aquire 200 hrs flight time

Then you might be able to find work as a Flight Instructor teaching people like yourself how to fly an R22 for $400 bucks a month,...might!?

That will be your ONLY employment option!,...just like the rest of us!

• Like 1

There is a job in Oregon if you are not worried about turbine that will pay 36K per year. Not sure about insurance but you need at least 1000 hours to be considered. 51 is not a bad age but you will be quite a while in getting where you will make any real money.