New guy from Atlanta GA

Evening! I am a new member located in Peachtree City GA. First let me say I have read the FAQ and other topics for new members.

Long short on me is ever since I can remember I have wanted to fly. I have always planned on learning to fly but wanted to learn when I could afford it and not take on debt. Some months back I bought a helicopter ride at a local airshow and I honestly can't describe what ignited in me when we started hovering. I knew then and there for sure flying a helicopter is what I want to do.

I am 36, married, work as a fulltime Firefighter/AEMT and my wife has a very nice career as an engineer. I can now use my income to subsidize my training.

I have learned that nothing is as valuable as first hand advice from a local expert so I am asking that if anyone can pass on my info or contact me to help guide me along this process, I would greatly appreciate it. I don't want to make poor choices starting out.

Thanks for reading my post.

Josh

Welcome to the forums, Josh. You'll find a lot of great information within these forums as well as a lot of arguments, conflicting information and the occasional grumpy pilot. You'll get a lot of information with a post like this and a lot of it may be conflicting because nobody's stories are the same.

First, understand that the training will either require a nearly full time commitment or if you train part time, expect it to take nearly 2 years to complete your training and can cost anywhere from 80 to $120,000. It sounds like you're going to be paying through loans or out-of-pocket. So be ready for THAT talk with your wife.

Secondly, helicopter jobs are spread out and not always conveniently located nearby. There may be times when you have to be away from home for months at a time, be comfortable living in a trailer with several other pilots or move your family around the country as you hunt for a job. So be ready for THAT talk and commitment too.

Third, find a good reputable flight school with a variety of piston helicopters. The more you diversify, the better your chances of landing a good CFI job after you get your ratings. Try to find one that has a reputation of hiring their students on as instructors after they receive their CFI/CFII. The first job is the hardest to get, so give yourself as many chances as possible right from the get-go. Don't choose a school based on convenience if it's going to dead-end your career.

Fourth, as you look at schools and make decisions, get back on here and ask a lot of specific questions or ask for insight and advice. Chances are, there will be people on here who have first hand knowledge of the schools you're considering or of other options in your area.

• Like 2

Welcome. I myself am just getting started. But there are some guys on here who don't sugar coat anything. That is the advice that I, personally, appreciate the most. This place will definitely change your perspective as a beginner. But there is a lot of good information here from some guys that genuinely want to help out the new crop of up and coming pilots. By the way, Atlanta is my second home. I did my fixed wing training out of PDK. But then again, that was 13 years ago. My wife still works at the diner on PDK occasionally.

- Even if you train in a different aircraft get qualified to teach in a robinson r22. That means at least 50hrs in one, a cfi endorsement, and a trip to the 4-day safety course at their factory.

- Don't pay for more than 25hrs in an r44

- Don't pay for turbine time

- Don't start training until you have a 2nd class medical

- Don't pay large sums of money up front for your training (no more than $1000)

- Don't pursue this unless you're willing to move anywhere at a moments notice for that first cfi job.

- Don't expect to earn a livable wage as a cfi

- Do expect ALOT of competition

Enjoy

• 3 weeks later...

Well, dunno if you're still actively reading the forums but I just did my R22 BFR with the owner of Blue Ridge Helicopters in Lawrenceville and he seems like a real nice, down to earth guy. Maybe look into doing a flight with them and see gets impression you get. Get some info and then come back and run it through this forum to get some opinions.