Do you carry a chart?

eagle5

33 members have voted

1. 1. If you fly around the same area all the time, do you still carry a chart?

• yes
    • no

I carry electronic and printed charts. The electronic are easier to use and easier to store, but the paper don't need batteries.

I have always had a paper chart with me. I just started experimenting with a tablet and AVARE on Android. I did a couple of hours with it on my old kneeboard then bought a strap for it. Still not convinced this is how best to handle it. Maybe another strap or another tablet.

Since the FAA states we should have all available information, a map of some type seems to be the easiest, simplest way to comply. But then again, I've never read a NTSB report that said no chart was found, no flight plan was filed.

I recently installed Avare. It seems to be a nice app if you're flying fixed-wing, airport to airport, but I haven't seen a way to save and easily navigate between other locations. I rarely fly to an airport, once every few months at most. To use it regularly, I would need to be able to import a large list of waypoints exported from a Garmin. But I may start flying some fixed-wing soon, and it will certainly be useful for that.

Required to for part 135 operations. Always do other times as well. Put it this way, if you have a violation and the FAA determines that if you had a chart onboard that would have given you the information needed to prevent said violation, it won't be pretty.

As for EFBs replacing paper documents. Part 135 requires an additional approved OpSpec, GOM revisions, training and a 6 month testing period. You will be required to keep two EFBs on board in case one fails. If you only have one as normal procedure, paper documents must still be carried.

• 2 weeks later...