Pilot Training and Financial Options

That’s what great about this country; you’re free to disagree…. However, as an FYI, its been my experience that this business is not tolerant for those who hesitate. Why? Simply because there are a bunch of folks who are waiting in the wings willing to go “all-in” right-the-rickety-tick-now and, this includes training… Think of it this way, your advancement as a commercial pilot, from start to finish, will depend on your ability to pay money, drive long distances and spend an inordinate amount of time away from your family. If you are not willing to do this, then this business is not for you. With that, there are a few, very few, who can avoid these sacrifices but understand, these folks rank in the two or three percentile. And, the older you are, the less time you have to achieve your goal. That is, on average, from zero flight time to flying a turbine is in the range of 5 to 10 years and this assumes a best case scenario….. You can do the math from there……

It’s already been suggest and I fully concur, speak to real working pilots face-to-face to gauge whether this is right for you…..

And,Mr. Hobie is correct... IF this is something you want to do, slam the pedal down..... hard......

Edited by Spike
  • Like 2

I understand. And once I do make the decision to do this I will "slam the pedal." I just want to make sure I make the right choice and take the right approach. That's why I am here.

As far as distance and time away; I know I will have to sacrifice a lot of both. Hell, my current position already does that. We are used this lifestyle. My concern is sacrificing more while I am in school, since I will continue to work away from home. Now, the positive side to that is I will be home every night while I attend school.

Another positive is like Hobie said, I do work for a great company. I have no idea if there's a future for my there as a pilot or not, but I do know that its a very valuable resource as far as knowledge. I will definitely be seeking the council of the guys I work with as soon as I get back there. I appreciate the council I have been receiving here too.

I would turn it down and stick with the job I have until something closer opened up. I have a GREAT job with an outstanding company and have no plans on leaving. If it's in the cards, I would love to become a pilot with the same company.

But again, I already work another world away from home anyway, so distance (while being paid for it) isn't an issue. We understand I will have to be gone a large portion of the year in order to have the income we are accustom to. But, I would never do it for pennies.

If it's in the cards, I would love to become a pilot with the same company.

I too would love to work for Erickson. However, even with thousands and thousands of hours in light singles and years of experience conducting a variety of missions, I still can’t get hired…….. Why? No medium/heavy time…… Go figure….. Erickson pilots are another breed of the very-few one-percenters….

Get the picture…….