Starting a small, part-time business utilizing low time?

Reading from these threads, it seems there's various ways of getting that done.

I've read about some cases here where there were some getting various gigs at the 500-600 hour mark.

Not well-paying, but enough to continually build up time as needed.

As I mentioned before, I still intend to get my certifications as time goes on.

But I'm not going to be quitting the trucking thing any time soon either.

If I stay on with the current company and position I've been at for the past, three years, I could see 4-5 years from now for all of my certifications acquired being a reality.

Another five years of trucking and time-building beyond that, I could see some additional things begin to open up.

So yep, trucking and flying will most likely be two main games in the long term for me.

Your plan to knock out one certificate at a time is totally doable. Moreover, I’d suggest you work while you train. Save a lump of cash and fly it off. Do this until you’ve gained CFII certification. One thing though, I’d stay with one school as your odds of being hired are better when you stick to one school…

And, contrary to what has been said, this site isn’t full of naysayers. It’s full of realists. However, you should do a little bit more research about how this job market functions. That is, for the most part, the pipeline for advancement is training through CFII certification, to teaching (building time as an instructor), and then to entry-level turbine gigs. Specifically, those folks you read about who are getting various flying jobs at 500 to 600 hours are few and far between….

Good luck…

• Like 1

@Spike, I'm becoming more fully aware of the difficult roads, financially wise, when it comes to finally getting through the various gates and getting into a full time gig.

Alarming at first, I'm still determined to give it some sort of go.

As far as sticking with the same school is concerned, I'm still on the fence about finalizing a lesson plan with this place in Albuquerque.

I live about 220 miles away and the plan to get the ground, simulator, and eventual flight training done will be even more of a task to get squeezed into the times I can schedule.

I've also thought about moving to places with a higher concentration of helicopter specific, flight schools (Why Oregon and Florida maintain a monopoly bugs me to the bone).

But there's the high chance of losing the decent pay I'm getting right now where I'm at and having a new job/relocation induced pay cut tear right into the path I set up.

If it ain't one thing, it's another.