Mauna Loa Helicopters, HI vs Orbic Helicopters Camarillo,CA

HeloHaole85

Hi all,

Wanted to inquire on the two schools listed in the thread title. I wanted to see if anyone had any experience or knowledge pertaining to either school and which one may be a better road to the much needed experience and hopefully landing that first instructing gig. I know Orbic is a part 61 school where Mauna Loa has a part 141 based curriculum. Cost wise, Camarillo is much closer to my current location and seems it may be the less expensive of the two to attend in the grand scheme of it. However, if Mauna Loa may have a better chance at employment after, it may be worth the extra expense and living change to take on. I always read mixed reviews on cost of flight training. Some say do it for as little as you can since you have to pass the same minimums no matter where you may attend, therefore saving you down the road so your able to scrape by on instructor pay for a few years. But if the quality and reputation will take you somewhere after, then I feel a little extra out of pocket may be worth it in the end. Any input on either schools as well as any advice in general would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

\I always read mixed reviews on cost of flight training. Some say do it for as little as you can since you have to pass the same minimums no matter where you may attend, therefore saving you down the road so your able to scrape by on instructor pay for a few years. But if the quality and reputation will take you somewhere after, then I feel a little extra out of pocket may be worth it in the end. Any input on either schools as well as any advice in general would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

I'd be interested to hear responses to this question as well.

I'd say as someone who trained at a Mom and Pop school and did the Instrument rating at a large school, that the large school provides more network opportunities. Conversely, the owner of the Mom and Pop has been in the industry for 40 years and has deep roots and was directly responsible for me getting my first job.

At the end of the day, take the amount of money you think it will cost you to live and train and multiply it by 1.5.

just my opinions...for what their worth...

First off, obviously money should not be a major factor...do some research, but I would avoid the most expensive schools/programs, but also be weary of the least expensive schools also... In the end its expensive no matter how you slice it...it just is. You need to understand this and go into it with that mindset...

That being said, I would choose a school based on a few different things...

First of all if location is a big deal to you with regards to your home life then choose a school close to where you need to be. Don't base it on something like "oh it would be nice to fly here or there" because in the end you will learn the same skills no matter what is below you...generally speaking. On that note I would say that it is a benefit to fly/train in or near Class C so that you can get some good experience dealing with ATC and traffic...

Secondly, I would think about job options in the sense of numbers... Find a school that has a very healthy influx of new students on a regular basis... VA approved school (sadly) are probably your best bet...and they love civilian private pay students (helps their ratio). If your willing to move on from the school you trained (travel/move away) then you should not worry about it and a mom and pop place might be nice. You will not have a terribly difficult time finding a gig somewhere in the US... there are always instructors needed somewhere, but the little mom and pop flight schools won't need much more than maybe 1 instructor and if your instructor is fairly new and time building then you will be SOL when you complete your training. Your 150-200hrs are not going to move him/her on their way. I would make sure you have the major boxes checked though before you do. Train in a Robbie (they are the go-too trainer these days) and make sure you have your CFII completed... get the time required to be able to instruct in both the 22 and the 44 (44 hours may cost some extra cash, but will help land a job).

In the end its not about where you trained, its about what kind of a pilot and person you are that will move you forward in any career... if you are EXPECTING someone to help you get that first job out of training, then you are doomed to not make it. I am not saying it doesn't happen, because it usually does (and happened to me), but I did not expect or feel entitled to anything and just got lucky being in the right place at the right time.

Good luck with whatever you decide and just keep your head down and keep grinding...it is totally do-able and well worth it! ...imo

on a side note... if your doing it with the intentions of making it a career, I would go with a 141 school... that's why 141 exist...

However, if Mauna Loa may have a better chance at employment after, it may be worth the extra expense and living change to take on.

This is the answer to your question. Period……

With regards to 61 vs 141, there is no difference. And, if you’ve been in the training business more than a nanosecond, you’d understand this…….

With regards to 61 vs 141, there is no difference. And, if you’ve been in the training business more than a nanosecond, you’d understand this…….

although I agree that the differences are minor in the grand scheme of things, there are differences... If you train at a 141 school you will have a better grasp of how it works and will have a leg up on someone who has only trained under part 61... For some people, it wouldn't matter, but for others it definitely would.

If you train at a 141 school you will have a better grasp of how it works and will have a leg up on someone who has only trained under part 61... For some people, it wouldn't matter, but for others it definitely would.

That would depend on the school and staff, not the student…… To wit, I’ve written and administered both types of programs with 3 different schools and I can attest, if the school is legit, there are no differences. In fact, if programs such as the VA or collage accreditation didn’t require 141 certification, there would be no schools offering 141 simply because it’s a huge expense to the school. Plus, I’ve seen schools improperly administer 141 programs and, I’ve seen 61 schools that exceeded those same standards. Ever hear of a school that ONLY trains to 141? Not me. Conversely, have you ever heard of a school that ONLY trains 61? I have....

61 allows for freedom of training to meet the needs of the student. 141 is a structured approach to a given standard..... In both instances, it’s really the instructor(s) and the culture of the school that makes the difference…. Not the program…..

That would depend on the school and staff, not the student…… To wit, I’ve written and administered both types of programs with 3 different schools and I can attest, if the school is legit, there are no differences. In fact, if programs such as the VA or collage accreditation didn’t require 141 certification, there would be no schools offering 141 simply because it’s a huge expense to the school. Plus, I’ve seen schools improperly administer 141 programs and, I’ve seen 61 schools that exceeded those same standards. Ever hear of a school that ONLY trains to 141? Not me. Conversely, have you ever heard of a school that ONLY trains 61? I have....

61 allows for freedom of training to meet the needs of the student. 141 is a structured approach to a given standard..... In both instances, it’s really the instructor(s) and the culture of the school that makes the difference…. Not the program…..

In my humble experience, I would have gladly taken my VA GI Bill money to a Part 61 school.

Trying to convince a school that yes I can enroll in your commercial/instrument program and only fly the multi engine airplane portion to add on to my comm heli/inst was an exercise in futility.

At the end of the day, it cost me more money to go to a 141 school because of the inflexibility of the program.