Wondering if it's still possible

I'm 36 and just got completed BMT/AIT in the Guard. I was leaving hope my state might grant an age waiver for flight school, but after talking to my WOSM, it seems very unlikely. I don't regret my decision to join because it's been a great experience so far as enlisted, but I still have this burning desire to fly Army.

So I basically got a "NO" from the command, but I've also heard "never take NO for an answer". Money, time, and flexibility are no issue for me; I'm willing to devote just about anything for a seat. So my question is: typically, how open is the Army chain of command to changing their mind on something like age given I do all the right things and go to great lengths to strengthen my packet? Am I pretty much dead in the water no matter what? I know there are lots of factors (needs of the state, luck, etc) but just looking for some general advice. I'm otherwise healthy with no legal issues, 20/20 uncorrected vision, bachelor’s degree, and have some civilian flight time.

Do you have a LOR from your commander yet?

I'd go directly to your commander, explain the situation as ask what you should do. The WOSM would be the one submitting it, I think, but would probably be more inclined to try if your commander emailed them about you.

Do you have a LOR from your commander yet?

I'd go directly to your commander, explain the situation as ask what you should do. The WOSM would be the one submitting it, I think, but would probably be more inclined to try if your commander emailed them about you.

I have 4 really strong LORs right now, but not yet from my commander. I'll definitely work on that. Do the needs of the unit/state hold much more weight than a really strong packet in getting a waiver approved? Just trying to get a better feel for how much control I have over my situation.

"never take NO for an answer"

^ a thousand times.

I'm active duty Air Force. I walked into an enlisted army recruiters office knowing nothing about this whole process and told him I was interested. He was nothing but negative. Told me the Army doesn't want Air Force guys, that you HAVE TO HAVE prior flight hours, that my bachelors degree was meaningless unless its in something aviation related and that I would never get a senior warrant to review my packet or write me an LoR because I'm a desk jockey.

So, I said thank you, ignored him and now I should be finding out in about two and a half weeks if I'm selected on the march board. Push your packet Sir. Submit for an age waiver. Make the Army officially tell you no in black in white.

• Like 2

I have 4 really strong LORs right now, but not yet from my commander. I'll definitely work on that. Do the needs of the unit/state hold much more weight than a really strong packet in getting a waiver approved? Just trying to get a better feel for how much control I have over my situation.

Look brother, don't take no for an answer. If you are looking to do WOFT on the active duty side of the house, put your packet in. You already need an age waiver, so don't waste any time. Let's be honest - that waiver gets worse with time... lol But seriously. I'm active duty so I have no idea what a WOSM is... but it's entirely irrelevant. You can call the branch POC (CW4 Guidry) listed on the USAREC Warrant website. He can give you someone else, preferably active duty to interview and recommend you for WOCS. Be willing to travel. You can also look up the nearest active duty post's Command Chief Warrant Officer for whatever CAB is there and set up an interview with them. The only thing you need from your current unit is a LOR from Company and Battalion. Your SWO could be from literally anywhere as long as he is a senior Warrant Officer, aviation, and not retired. Don't take no for an answer... just get it in. If you cannot find a SWO, you can use a Field Grade Aviation Officer in its place. I built my packet in 3 weeks and was accepted. You have to be motivated and get it done. Don't be that guy who never submits and always wonders, "What if..." Just do it - time is not on your side...

• Like 1

I have no idea what the logic is about waivers for the Guard, because I'm not the one doing it.

If the WOSM is telling you no and not even trying then they are failing you and the state. Like others have said, don't take no for an answer but it helps to have a little backup on your side to get past the road block.

I don't have time to write much but go for it battle. You need to be in IERW by 33. I am 32 with my bday here in sept and just about at the cusp of needing an age waiver however, I have been trying to get picked up for about 6 years now and never gave up. NO it was not easy but now I have been selected to attend class 16-12 which starts in a few weeks.

I'll be honest there were moments when I took a step back to see if this is what I really wanted but a little soul searching always led me to aviation. What state are you? IN I suppose? I am PA Guard and have been told that age waivers are not getting approved but do not let all the red tape BS stop you from giving it your all. You won't be getting any younger so get your packet together ASAP and if that WOSM won't help then go see another one.

Get a print out the wocs/woft checklist from your Strength manager and go down the list of getting items completed then go see him or her with your progress.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don't have time to write much but go for it battle. You need to be in IERW by 33. I am 32 with my bday here in sept and just about at the cusp of needing an age waiver however, I have been trying to get picked up for about 6 years now and never gave up. NO it was not easy but now I have been selected to attend class 16-12 which starts in a few weeks.

I'll be honest there were moments when I took a step back to see if this is what I really wanted but a little soul searching always led me to aviation. What state are you? IN I suppose? I am PA Guard and have been told that age waivers are not getting approved but do not let all the red tape BS stop you from giving it your all. You won't be getting any younger so get your packet together ASAP and if that WOSM won't help then go see another one.

Get a print out the wocs/woft checklist from your Strength manager and go down the list of getting items completed then go see him or her with your progress.

Yes I'm in Indy. Sucks that PA isn't even considering age waivers. Do you know why they aren't?

• 5 weeks later...