Living in an RV

Mac3533

I'm thinking about trying to fly for one of the Alaskan tour operators next season, but unsure about what I want to do after that. I am tossing around the idea of heading up there in an RV and living in that for the season, then head south to perhaps chase other work for the winter. Has anyone done anything like this, or is it more hassle than it's worth? I like the idea of not having to find housing, especially if I move around frequently for seasonal work.

The big tour companies in AK have pilot housing for free and getting your RV to a place like Juneau requires a boat which can get expensive. They may or may not pay for the move depending on the company.

It's a good idea in the offseason. You can try to leave the RV down south and not bother with the relocation.

I would have my gf and 2 dogs, so pilot housing is out. Otherwise I would be all for free housing! I figured the RV thing would be far easier than locating affordable short term housing that allows pets, which is like finding a Unicorn. The 5th wheel camper was another thought, having the truck as a standalone vehicle would be nice.

In Juneau rent is running between 1000 to 1500 bucks for a one bedroom place. You may find something less but not likely a place you want to live. The property managers usually want a one year lease and that rules out many good options here.

In Juneau rent is running between 1000 to 1500 bucks for a one bedroom place. You may find something less but not likely a place you want to live. The property managers usually want a one year lease and that rules out many good options here.

Factoring in a pet friendly place, I'm sure it becomes even more limited. This is exactly why I was thinking an RV or 5th wheel camper would be the way to go.

I don't have experience with trying to pull it off in Juneau (which may be a pain to get it there as others have said), but I did live in one in California for awhile while I was working away from home. I actually LOVED it and would not have done it any other way.

do research on camp grounds or places to park it because that is the kicker... if its a killer spot then you will love it, if its a sh!t hole then you will hate it... (obviously)

I was alone in about a 24fter which was perfect for me. It would have been tight and cramped for someone else to be there, but a GF/Wife may be manageable. You will be right on top of one another though. You definitely want a trailer and not an RV. Having a vehicle that you can drive around and leave the trailer makes it nice.

My situation end up working out great though. I got a great deal on a nice clean trailer...used it for almost a year paying very low rent in some pretty nice places (ocean views) and then I turned around and actually sold it for $800 more than I bought it for. If you take care of whatever you get and its decent it will hold its value pretty good.

Thanks for the input Radam. Was it a pain finding places to hook up/park near where you were working, or are those areas fairly common?

Well where I was trying to live it was not easy, but not terribly difficult finding a spot. It was not super close to where I work, but that was my choice since most of the places real close where not very nice. I wanted some place I felt safe and actually would enjoy being.

Like I said do some research on places and call them up and talk to them. Most trailer parks and campgrounds for that matter will take reservations pretty far out. The one thing that I had to deal with is that, at least down here in California, Most places will only let you stay for up to 6-8 months max on a long term stay... I guess there is some sort of "squatting" law that says if you stay longer you have far more rights and it is very difficult for them to get rid of you if need be. So I had to find another place to stay for a month (moved my trailer) but was able to come right back after that... Not sure how it works up there, but I would check on that sort of thing too.

The bottom line is if you can afford a decent trailer (5-10k will get you one) and don't plan on laying down roots for more than a year, there is no other way I would go about doing it.

• Like 1