What is needed for professional careers?

night

I have a private helicopter license. I'm interested in a career with aviation but I do not know the steps it takes to get there. Currently I'm interested in becoming an EMS pilot or an ag pilot. What steps do I need, and what is a job with the lowest required amount of hours? Are there any flight schools that train you specifically for a job?

Air Methods Corp. listed minimums do not apply to all HEMS, so an approximation:

General Requirements:

• Commercial & Instrument license (for category and class of aircraft)

• ATP rating in category meets this requirement.

• First OR Second Class FAA Medical certificate required.

• Pilots must have flown in category within the previous 24 months

Flight Hours (Flight time must be verified through reliable documentation)

Visual Flight Rules (VFR) Program:

• 2000 total flight hours with minimum of 1500 flight hours in category

• 1000 hours PIC in category

• 500 hours of rotor wing turbine time

• 200 hours of cross-country flight time, at least 50 hours of which were at night

• 100 hours unaided night as PIC

• 50 hours total actual or hood instrument time in flight and in category (simulator time does not count)

Instrument Flight rules (IFR) Program:

• 2500 total flight hours with a minimum of 2000 hours in category

• 1000 hours PIC in category

• 500 hours of cross-country flight time, 100 hours of night flight time

• 75 hours of actual or simulated instrument time in category and at least 50 hours which were in flight in an aircraft including 20 hours in actual instrument conditions in category

• Like 1

In order to advance in this business, you’ll need to gain a Certified Flight Instructor Certificate with Instrument Instructor ratings (CFII). After that, you’ll need to get a job teaching in order to build the time, to get to the minimums Wally posted above. Ag minimums aren’t so high, but nonetheless, you’ll want to be competitive as an entry level pro-pilot and there is no better way to do that without the CFII and teaching. Don’t get the CFII and your chances of advancing, at any rate, are nearly zero.

Talk to people who actually hold jobs, as in “working” EMS, Ag, ENG, Fire, Charter, Corporate -pilots and find out how they did it. If possible, face-to-face….. If anything, get someone to advocate for you…..

If you do go back to flight school, beware, there are many folks who’ve lost thousands by listening to BS generated by the flight school(s). Just Google Silverstate Helicopters and, even though they are no-more, places like SSH still exist. Research flight schools and when you think you're done, research again…. Additionally, take what you learn on the internet with a grain of salt…..

You’d be looking at approximately 65K to finish the training to CFII….. And no, flight schools do not train you for a specific job. Moreover, you must also learn about the helicopter business before focusing on the ultimate goal. Like EMS. Simply put, you’ll need to learn to crawl before you can walk, before you can jog, before you can run, before you can sprint, before you can fly……

Edited by Spike
  • Like 1

Definetly get your CFI certificate, even if you never use it it'l come in handy down the road. The lowest hour requirments you'll find are either in instruction or light tours in a R44 (300-500 hours). If your budget allows some R44 time during training at least shoot for your PIC endorsement. As far as specific training goes your best bet is to focus on core skills because the companies you work with will train you on how they want you to fly anyways.

For ag they'll probably have you start as ground crew so look into getting a commercial drivers license with hazmat and tanker endorsements, I had a class C (small vehicle) when I was fueling fire helicopters and the whole thing cost about $150 to get. Im not sure how much class B and A licenses cost to obtain but it shouldn't be hard to find. Depending on the state you want to work in you can probably look up the requirements to take your written applicators test too. Good luck!

• Like 2