Experience Before EMS

For those of you currently flying EMS, aside from the minimum hour requirements, what type of experience/hours would you recommend before venturing into the EMS industry?

I've been told by one EMS pilot to definitely NOT enter the industry at minimums (instruction>tours>ems=no). I'm looking for some more specific types of recommended flying experience/hours and a broader perspective.

Thanks for any input!

As much off-airport operation as you can get, especially nights. Especially nights, and enough unaided night that night vision goggles are an aid, not a crutch.

I thought my instructional experience a benefit, I could explain and narrate the plan, which went a long way to keeping the crew not only comfortable and in the loop, but useful, too.

Edited by Wally

15 hours ago, helonorth said:

Where are you at with your training or experience? Most of the pilots I work with came from offshore or the military.

Instructing currently as my first pilot job. Thinking gulf next but trying to think ahead here.

1,000 PIC, about 1100 total

30 NVG, 10 as instructor

120 night, about 85 unaided

30 hours SIM instrument in helicopter. 75 total (adding simulator instrument)

20 Turbine, 10 longline (Dual received during my pilot training)

800 Dual given, 200 XC

3 hours ago, Wally said:

As much off-airport operation as you can get, especially nights. Especially nights, and enough unaided night that night vision goggles are an aid, not a crutch.

I thought my instructional experience a benefit, I could explain and narrate the plan, which went a long way to keeping the crew not only comfortable and in the loop, but useful, too.

Thanks for the input,

One question I've always had is which operators will get you that sort of night time outside of EMS?

I've been using instructing to build night for now. I plan on getting a minimum of 100 unaided here before moving on. I've recently gotten my endorsement to be a goggle instructor and am building some time there as well. All of the unaided night is XC from airport to airport, mostly over cultural lighting. The 22's we fly aren't good for much else with such limited instrumentation.

Unless you are in the army, you will probably never land off airport at night until you fly EMS. You could take students to a confined area you are familiar with and practice but I would only do it under goggles. Your school may not allow you to do this, however. 

If EMS is the goal, I would set my sights on the GOM and work your way into an IFR position. I would highly encourage you to fly EMS IFR. You will have a big advantage when applying for EMS jobs already having IFR time and twin time. Flying EMS IFR takes a lot of the stress out of the equation and I feel it is much safer. Much more interesting and it pays better, too. 

Edited by helonorth
grammar