Mugs

I am just starting my training for commercial helicopter.  I am also working on a degree in criminal justice and want nothing more than to fly in Law Enforcement.

But I don't know how to bridge the gap between being a low time pilot with a degree in criminal justice and the job of my dreams.  Military does not look like an option.

Are there any agencies that train pilots from the ground up?

Don't know much about the industry yet.

Can anyone help!!!

Mugs,

Browse through the different topics here in the law enforcement forum.  Most of your questions should have already been answered.  If you have something more specific after that fire away and we will do our best.

I am just starting my training for commercial helicopter.  I am also working on a degree in criminal justice and want nothing more than to fly in Law Enforcement.

But I don't know how to bridge the gap between being a low time pilot with a degree in criminal justice and the job of my dreams.  Military does not look like an option.

Can anyone help!!!

Also, check the latest issue of Heli-Ops; they have a employment section and one of the ads was for a law enforcement agency that were hiring.  All you needed to do was to go trough the basic training of an officer, then you're placed in the aviation division, if I remember correctly. Of course, you need to be a pilot ahead of time.

• 2 weeks later...

If all you want to do in law enforcement is fly, and nothing else, you had better find another way to fly.   If flying is your goal, great, but you better love being a cop until you get there, otherwise you'll be miserable, and that will make you a crappy cop, and that WONT get you selected for anything.

It took me almost eight years, serving in patrol, dope, SWAT, and as an FTO.......I also completed my Private Helo, and my fixed wing Instrument on my own, and only recentely got selected.

For the most part...only large departments have aviation.  With that you have a lot of experience, and a lot of people with the same desire you have, who also love being cops.  

You have to understand that it could, and will most assuredly be several years before you get your chance, and in that time, you will push a black and white.....maybe get shot at, or hurt, and you just may have to kill someone else in the process.  You will undoubtedly witness some of the most violent acts imaginable.

You have to ask yourself, "If I never get to fly, will I still enjoy police work."  Law Enforcement is a way of life, not a job.  How many years of your life are you willing to invest in that way of life, just waiting to see if the opportunity comes?

If your dream is only to fly, and not really to be a cop first, you may be better served looking somewhere else.

Can anyone help!!!

Well, this dept doesn't train you from the gorund up, but you don't have to be a cop or go through cop training, it looks like, to get hired as a LE pilot.

http://www.mspaviation.org/frames.asp

I have to agree 100 percent with Flying Pig and Eagle1, attitude is EVERYTHING! It also took me 8 years on the street before I was able to get out to our aviation unit. I loved working the street and still miss doing some of the street officers duties.

Most units are small and attitudes play a major role in your ability to work well with the other aviation unit members. Our unit will take an average pilot with a good attitude before a great pilot with an attitude problem. Law Enforcement flying is almost always a team concept, and if you can't get along with your co-workers you cannot be an effective team. Don't get me wrong, we look for the great pilots, but usually they also seem to be the ones that do an outstanding job on the street as well.

A good attitude will get you into the pilot's seat but don't let the desire to get there overshadow your performance in the street officer's job; that will keep you out of the pilot's seat for sure (unless you happen to be the chief/sheriff's son, then all bets are off).

Jeff

I know I am going to come across like a big party-pooper!...But, Maryland State Police requirements are MINIMUM 2000 hours helicopter....I gaurantee they arent talking about R-22 time.  I can tell you from experience in having worked with some of their troopers, the applicants that get interviewed are primarily all former military, with about 3000 hrs turbine, and several of them were pilots with AS365/HH60 time.  Another issue to is they do have pilots who hired on as troopers, and have been working the streets, hoping to get into the unit.  Law Enforcement, alot of times stock piles applications, just because they are accepting apps doent mean they have openings.

Again, Im not trying to rain on your parade, but if your at a crossroads in your life trying to make some decisions, you need to know the reality of how this works.  Like it or not, Law Enforcement is a very closed society, and Aviation, next to full time SWAT is probably the most selective unit in the Dept.

Mugs,  I have absolutely no issue with what you are doing, and as you can see everyone on this site is willing to help you out, and we are more than willing to answer any questions you may have.  Im not an expert in Police aviation, Ive only been in the unit a very short time, but I know what it took to get there, and as an observer/flight officer, I know it will be probably years before I ever move to a pilot slot.  It would be different if you had a couple thousand hours and were looking for a dept that hired civilian pilots,  but if your young, and just starting your training........you need to be aware if your considering this as a way to become a pilot.

I know I am going to come across like a big party-pooper!...But, Maryland State Police requirements are MINIMUM 2000 hours helicopter....I gaurantee they arent talking about R-22 time.  I can tell you from experience in having worked with some of their troopers, the applicants that get interviewed are primarily all former military, with about 3000 hrs turbine, and several of them were pilots with AS365/HH60 time.  Another issue to is they do have pilots who hired on as troopers, and have been working the streets, hoping to get into the unit.  Law Enforcement, alot of times stock piles applications, just because they are accepting apps doent mean they have openings.

Again, Im not trying to rain on your parade, but if your at a crossroads in your life trying to make some decisions, you need to know the reality of how this works.  Like it or not, Law Enforcement is a very closed society, and Aviation, next to full time SWAT is probably the most selective unit in the Dept.

Mugs,  I have absolutely no issue with what you are doing, and as you can see everyone on this site is willing to help you out, and we are more than willing to answer any questions you may have.  Im not an expert in Police aviation, Ive only been in the unit a very short time, but I know what it took to get there, and as an observer/flight officer, I know it will be probably years before I ever move to a pilot slot.  It would be different if you had a couple thousand hours and were looking for a dept that hired civilian pilots,  but if your young, and just starting your training........you need to be aware if your considering this as a way to become a pilot.

Of course, but I was just trying to point out that there are dept.'s out there that'll hire without having to be a cop - you just have to look.  Everyone always had said you have to be a cop 1st....