Heli-Pad in your own back yard?

Just wondering what it takes to be able to have a heli-stop (pad?Port?) in your own back yard in the US.

Do you need minimum acreage or be in a designated zone etc?

Anyone ever done this? Got one now?

That really depends on what town you live in. towns and states are free to regulate how they want.

The FAA requires that you have two departure paths at least 90degrees apart. those paths (I think) have to be no more than 9 degrees of climb out and not directly over houses or schools, etc...

The FAA has a info packet to help you plan your site, when you fill out the forms get a overhead photo off mapquest to show the paths.

hope that helps

The most important approval you will need to get is from your neigbors. It is almost a given that even if there are no local ordinances in the way, and you get full FAA approval, unless you have unanimous accord with your neigbors, your first flight in will result in complaints, and you will not win those folks over.

Get to know everyone within a 2-mile radius of your proposed site, then prior to popping the question, invite them over for a barbeque and some helicopter rides. It might make all the difference.

I live out in the country (plantersville, Tx) and one day i heard a low flying heli...(had to run outside and watch it as usuall) and noticed it circled around for a bit, then continued getting lower.. So i freaked and hopped in the car to follow it and see where it was landing, and about eh, 4 blocks from my house it landed in a backyard (surrounded by trees) But it looks like this guy had made himself a little heli-pad and had a huge metal garage/Hangar. I see him flying around every once in a while, and when i do, i cruise down there to watch him land :D Havnt met him yet though, im a bit shy, and its odd just walking up to someone's house (especially in Tx where most people have guns lol). But eh, i might go meet him someday, maybe he'll take me for a ride and a few lessons.

If i do talk to him, ill see what approval he needed for his pad and let you guys know ;)

I have been thinking about buying something like a 300 for time building. If I do, I will be landing on my land. I have 6 acres, and was unable to, but I tried to buy the land next to me that would give me a total of 18. Anyway, if I do decide to buy, I wall be setting up a LZ in either the front or back of the house. I have already spoken with the neighbors about this, and they just want a ride!

My only issue is that I have MANY trees, although they are short, it would still be a confined area approach.

John

Whatever you do.......DO NOT ask your local government questions to the tune of "can I do this?" You will unleash all kinds of stupid bueracrats who no absolutely nothing about aviation. They'll go to your neighbors, have hearings about it, and then they'll put all kinds of restrictions on your activities when you finally get it "approved".

Get a lawyer to do some poking around.....if it's legal just start landing there and wait for someone to complain. Take your neighbors for rides, setup times for operation, etc with them and don't let the local government get involved. Even if the locals get ticked off and pass an ordinance, you're grandfather'd in.

What state do you live in? No problem here in Missouri, but if you go over to IL, any spot that you use more than 25 times a year has to approved as a restricted landing area (But, who's counting, right?).

I know a dozen people who have gotten themselves in a pickle by asking too many questions when it comes to helipads. Soooo as long as:

1 - You own the land or have permission to use it,

2 - No local / state ordinances prevent it, and

3 - You can make a safe approach without posing a hazard to persons or property on the surface.....

It's legal and JUST DO IT.

Also an instructor of mine has his own R22 and is operating a small training school from his house. He has TONS of acres, and has made a nice little field in the back of his house and lands his Heli there all the time. He doesn't really have any neighbors, but he never seemed to have a problem with it. He didnt even make a helipad, just lands in the field behind his house :D

Here is the Adivisory Circular pertaining to heliports, note that they are reccommended guidelines only and not mandatory. FAA AC150-5390

My uncle recently bought a 300c and flies it out of his property, this AC is useful in knowing what to aviod and what things can cause future problems (local govt, neighbors, ect.)

Hope it helps

Get a lawyer to do some poking around.....if it's legal just start landing there and wait for someone to complain. Take your neighbors for rides, setup times for operation, etc with them and don't let the local government get involved. Even if the locals get ticked off and pass an ordinance, you're grandfather'd in.

You will only be grandfathered if you got FAA approval BEFORE the ordanace was rattified!!! be sure to get this before you tick off the very first "neighbor" 2 miles away!!!

Please, don't "just do it" if you annoy the wrong person, even miles away, before you know it another law will be passed and the whole town, or even state might be off limits.

Trust me it has happened.

Since when does the FAA say where you can and cannot land helicopters?

What state did this happen in? ......because this sounds like a state thing, not a federal thing. If you're talking about Illinois, then yes. Some north-eastern states, you bet. California too. More details to support your arguement.........."Trust me it happened" doesn't cut it.

And yes, people 2+ miles away can make your life he11 when it comes to this--which is why you don't want to have a hearing or any kind of city counsel meeting. They'll tell everyone you'll crack their foundations with the sound waves and then crash into your house. Now your on defense to try to explain autorotations and aerodynamics to a bunch of idiots?? It's so much easier to crack a gavell and say "no way"......

That's why I say, get a lawyer to poke around the state and local laws before you mention it to any government employee because as soon as the city finds out, you're screwed!!!!!

Five cities in St. Louis (MO) County have ordinances against landing helicopters because someone opened their mouth about keeping a helicopter on their property; or the city didn't like the people who already had them and wanted to prevent any more for coming in. Des Peres, Town & Country, Chesterfield, Ladue, & Clayton are the towns. Anyone who knows this area will recognize those at the top five cities in the area when it comes to residential land value, wealth, income, etc. I've landed at several of the "grandfathered" areas within those limits.....other areas have required a vote by the city aldermen for a one time deal!!!

Land at you home, workplace, and any other place you want to go. Take pictures with time stamp, get someone to video tape it, or make sure a bunch of people see you do it. That's your proof you've been landing there pre-ordinance.

I'll give you an example:

I knew of two recent PPL graduates, both bought small piston helicopters a short time later. Both lived in the same town.

The first began landing in his yard right away, without any approval. Ths second (with a smaller yard, and closer to town) simply filed the forms from the FAA before landing the first time.

They both were called to town hearings. an ordanance was passed.

The first was denied and is not allowed to land in his yard by new town law. He was nearly sued by his neighbors, was threatened with other violations (not flight related).

The second, because he followed the proceedure, has FAA approval which led to town approval. He often lands in the middle of town, in a small yard, near a school.

Please request the FAA packet, file the contents quietly, no need to tell your town if there is no ordanance. If approved you will be grandfathered.

BTW. the FAA forms are for registering a private helipad. It is true you don't need a registered pad to land as far as the "Feds" are concerned, but it helps win over the locals.

one more note. If you have a lot of land and friendly neighbors I would not be so concerned. My example above is of around two acres.

Disclaimer: It might be different in your state.

Again........what STATE did this happen in??

It sounds like guy number 1 took the city's and neighbors' bullying and chicken'd out. If he was truly in compliance with the FARs and state/local laws, there is absolutely nothing they could successfully nail him on. What did they threaten him with? Like some "Disturbing the peace" or "Public endangerment" charge?

And he is NOT "no longer allowed to land there", he just knows that if he does, the city and neighbors are going to hit him with a bunch of lawsuits and he's going to have to pay to fight them. With a some work & money he'd be landing and takeoff from there without problems.

Yep, California is one of those states where you'll probably need approval through their DOT (is it called CalTran or something?) Get in touch with Robinson's helipad department. They'll help you out--they are a BIG supporter of helipads, mainly the one at LAX that almost became a parking deck. For a while, RHC was offering a free helipad with new R44s in order to promote the use.