Introduction / ? about Civic Helicopters

Hello, my name is Nathan. I would like to introduce my self. I am 20 years old and live in southern California. I'm currently trying to figure out a career path to go on. I get up at 5:30 and drive 40 min every day to go work as a low voltage electrician. It is very mentally unsatisfying work. Over the past 2 months I have been looking for a more stimulating path to take in life. I surf a lot and always see helis buzzing up and down the coast. It looks like a lot of fun. I am into dirt sports and have very good hand eye coordination. Let me tell you driving 70-90mph in the dirt requires you to be quick. I don’t get scared very easily and enjoy anything that gets my blood going.

This weekend I went to Civic Helicopters in Carlsbad, CA. I talked to some of the instructors and got a feel for what it takes to be a pilot. I think I have what it takes. I should have my money situation taken care of within the next couple of months so I can start acquiring hours.

My question is what I can do to get me ready for the real thing. I went out and bought the best yoke peddles and throttle I could find. Also bought MS Flight sim 2004. I was wondering if practicing on a program like this is teaching me bad things to do? Also Is there any other flight sim software that accurately emulates flying a heli. I am interested in doing this for as long as I can, also I would like to travel around the world and see being a pilot as a way to do this.

Please respond with any suggestions on how to appropriately ready my self for my pilot training, also any personal experiences with Civic Helicopters would be cool.

Thanks,

Nathan

There are lots of other threads about the effectiveness of flight simulators. Just do a search, or poke around the forums. In my opinion a flight sim like MS2004 would be good for learning instrument procedures. However, you should keep in mind that it is a simulator, and helicopters are difficult to simulate with inexpensive software.

I talked to the people at Civic Helicopters and had the following concerns.

1. June gloom. I'm not from the area (Carlsbad), but the CFI there told me that during June, and sometimes through the whole summer, you can have fog/low clouds over the airport (because it's so close to the water) which usually burns off by around noon. This might make scheduling difficult if everyone is trying to schedule their flights for the afternoon to avoid the fog.

2. I got the impression that scheduling is kind of tight for the R-22s (though not as bad for the more expensive Schweizer). If scheduling is already tight to begin with, then with daily morning fog coming for the summer, it might mean helicopter availablity is bad and cause difficulty in consistent training.

3. Instrument training is either in the R-44 ($445/hour) or Schweizer ($290/hour). They don't have an R-22 for instrument like some schools (about $245/hour). So this means higher cost than if you could train exclusively in the R-22. Also, I don't know if it is bad (due to inconsistency) to do all your training in the R-22 and then have to do your intrument training in the Schweizer. On the other hand, maybe doing instrument training the Schweizer would be good experience? Not sure about this one.

The reason I called them was because I thought that San Diego (Carlsbad) would be a nice place to spend the summer for it's mild weather and beaches. I just want to be reasonably certain that I can fly at least 5 days per week.

If anyone else out there has any experience with this school, please let us know. Thanks.

I went to Civic Helicopters. The fog was only an issue in the early morning. I cant really remember ever getting cancelled due to weather. wouldnt worry about the Flight Sim right now. You dont have a foundation for what you are doing yet and youll just confuse yourself. I thought it was great. Nice training areas, controlled airspace.....I never had a problem with scheduling....I did the 300C.

• 2 weeks later...

That was the School I started looking into after I became TRULY interested in becoming a Helo-pilot.

I initially was interested in SSH (El Cajon). Then I did my back ground work on SSH. I RAN (laugh) from them as fast as I could.

There are a couple other schools in the area yet very limited. I checked with one in Murrieta. The guy there seemed like he had a descent set up. However after talking to him something just didn't feel right. He might be fine but I went with my gut. Civic was the other one. I LIKED thier area and set up. It also would fit well into my commute. I got a little concerned however when I mentioned my story with SSH. The people there looked at each other. Then when I got thier info packed there was a reference to thier being or having been acquired by SSH - it was lined out. That has struck a question in me. I still want to do this. Right now how ever the normal routines of life and trying to pay my mortgage has me financialy bound. I have not looked into the background of Civic yet but before I come up with the money and do it I most DEFINITLY will.

I would recommend you do the same. Civic looks good but if there is any tie to SSH look out. Do your research and hope to maybe see you there. Best of luck.

At one point they were going to be bought by Civic. For whatever reason, they decided not to. I dont think they have any connection anymore. But my info is about a year old. I enjoyed Civic. Also, the school at French Valley is good also. The owner is the holder of a couple helo world records.

At one point they were going to be bought by Civic. For whatever reason, they decided not to. I dont think they have any connection anymore. But my info is about a year old. I enjoyed Civic. Also, the school at French Valley is good also. The owner is the holder of a couple helo world records.

I think you'll find it's the other way round - that Civic was going to be bought by them.

You're right that they now have no connection. The deal fell apart and everyone went their separate ways. No connection between the two at all.

That was the School I started looking into after I became TRULY interested in becoming a Helo-pilot.

I initially was interested in SSH (El Cajon). Then I did my back ground work on SSH. I RAN (laugh) from them as fast as I could.

There are a couple other schools in the area yet very limited. I checked with one in Murrieta. The guy there seemed like he had a descent set up. However after talking to him something just didn't feel right. He might be fine but I went with my gut. Civic was the other one. I LIKED thier area and set up. It also would fit well into my commute. I got a little concerned however when I mentioned my story with SSH. The people there looked at each other. Then when I got thier info packed there was a reference to thier being or having been acquired by SSH - it was lined out. That has struck a question in me. I still want to do this. Right now how ever the normal routines of life and trying to pay my mortgage has me financialy bound. I have not looked into the background of Civic yet but before I come up with the money and do it I most DEFINITLY will.

I would recommend you do the same. Civic looks good but if there is any tie to SSH look out. Do your research and hope to maybe see you there. Best of luck.

Hello,

Could you relay your experience with ssh via the forum or my email? Thanks.

Brandman

Vaqueroaero...

Yup...your right.....SSH was going to buy Civic.. Sir...I stand corrected Sir.

That's OK - don't do it again. :)

So who did you fly with when you were there? I used to instruct there myself. I left towards then end of 2003 (I think). Had some enjoyable times there for sure.