R22 Power Check

Thanks for the vectors to other posts. I'm finding lots of good stuff to add to my flight checks and confined area ops!

I'll try checking the accuracy of the MP gauge static reading next time by seeing how it compares to the altimeter zero elevation ambient pressure indication.

As to R22butters question re new cylinders, this engine came via the Robinson factory as part of a standard 4400 hour rebuild kit for a Beta.

Susie

Edited by Little Red 22

Aside from problems with the gauge, it could also be:

1) your machine needs more power to hover due to increased drag. How are the blades and TR blades? Clean? Smooth paint top and bottom? Or covered in pollen and paint chipped away almost to the line? Makes a huge difference.

2) your engine is a little below spec, thus requiring a bit more throttle than usual.

Even with new cylinders, problems can develop. How was the last compression check?

We had a newly overhauled O-320 in a R22, 65hrs on the engine and one cylinder hat almost no compression due to a problem with a lifter.

Is the magneto timing ok? Again you'll need an engineer to check this, but one indication of a problem CAN be that the RPM drop on the L and R mag is not the same when doing the mag check.

Edited by lelebebbel

Have a read of this document.

http://www.advancedpilot.com/downloads/prep.pdf

And here is a thread I was involved in a long time ago! Those were the days, when I could busy myself online for hours on end.

http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/topic/3786-general-knowledge-question-get-yer-brains-working/

Yeah,

A long time ago. Good to have your input and glad to see you on here again. Funny that you take an interest in recips again....

Haven't read all 28 posts so not sure if this has been said. If it's normal in cruise but high in a hover, did you turn the Carb Heat off on short final? If not the MP will be high of course when you come to a hover.

• Like 2