Loking for flight school near NYC

B)-->

QUOTE(Darren B @ Sep 11 2006, 15:31 )

I'm a sixteen yearold looking to learn how to fly a helicopter.

Problem is, I'm a football player.

I'm 6'1, 215 lbs, which seems to present a problem for schools that use R22s.

What do you guys think?

I think you should switch to soccer ;)... I'm 190, and taking a 180lb instructor with us only gives us about 18 gallons of gas down here in AZ. Figure 1.5 or 1.6 hours flight time to be safe. Makes cross crountry planning a bear. The 300C is a bit more practical so i've heard. However, we do have some students at 210lbs, and they manage somehow. Just ask for a skinny CFI... ;)

B)-->

QUOTE(Darren B @ Sep 11 2006, 17:31 )

I'm a sixteen yearold looking to learn how to fly a helicopter.

Problem is, I'm a football player.

I'm 6'1, 215 lbs, which seems to present a problem for schools that use R22s.

What do you guys think?

Darren,

We do training in a turbine Alouette that allows the larger guys and gals an opportunity to train. I know, they'll say I'm using this forum to attract business, but I just want you to know that there are alternatives for the larger folks. Pursue your dreams. If the will and determination is there, you'll most always find a way.

Best of Luck.

Mike

Darren,

We do training in a turbine Alouette that allows the larger guys and gals an opportunity to train. I know, they'll say I'm using this forum to attract business, but I just want you to know that there are alternatives for the larger folks. Pursue your dreams. If the will and determination is there, you'll most always find a way.

Best of Luck.

Mike

Have any idea of a place near NYC that trains in a similar craft?

Darren,

215 lbs is quite a bit for a robinson, which the majority of training is conducted in. However, an aircraft such as a schwiezer 300 is going to have no problem handling your weight, an instructor and fuel. If you're serious about doing this, you need to do the research if you want to have a good experience. Poke around in the flight training forums on this site and others before you decide anything. To get you started on finding a school check out schweizer's website's listing of flight schools, you'll find what you're looking for.

Schwiezer Aircraft Corp. Flight Schools List

Good Luck

Wings Air is one of the only schools close to NYC that uses the 300, and I believe the bird goes for $315 dual, and like $280 solo. There is also Hummingbird and I acutally helped ferry one of Wing Air's 300's there, but they are out in connecticut and I have no idea what they charge for training.