Just starting out

Ok so my previous attempt at being slightly amusing failed miserably. So in an attempt to redeem myself lets try again. First I want to say that I have found this web site to be an irreplaceable source of information and insight into the Helo community. B) I hope to be a respected member of said community. Next I would really like to know how to be a VIP member because I would like to do a daily blog during my time in flight school so that I can give future pilots a look inside the mind of an old nut case changing his life after 43 years of putting up with the everyday bull. If any of you have some insight into a mid life crisis and would like to help me please do till then…………Lets just fly on to the wild blue yonder…………………………………..

Guest rookie101

Jocko do you not get PM's? I sent you one concerning how you can become a VIP member. I really don't feel like typing out my explanation so I'll make it easier for the both of use. Below is the link to make a contribution. I do beleive it's $20 bucks, I still have to do it. :rolleyes:. If you've got any questions concerning age check the FAQ seeing how that your 43 you may or may not have a few questions concerning a career change.

http://www.verticalreference.com/contribute.htm

Also, I was given this link by a fellow in a different forum. It is, I beleive, all of his training dates and his thoughts on the day and how the lesson went. It is, however, from across the pond (England) so there may be some differences.

http://www.helicopter-services.co.uk/diary...ingdiary.html#1

43 and having a mid-life crisis? Egads, wait 'till you're my age. :)

Really, I've had this bug to be a pilot for thirty-somwhat years, and after flying airplanes, the helo is a lot more fun. And thank goodness for home equity loans.

You're never too old to change careers-changed mine five or six times now. Do it or you'll regret it later. Fly...be free... Mork from Ork, circa 1978(?)

Later

QUOTE(Witch @ Sep 29 2006, 00:54 )

Fly...be free... Mork from Ork, circa 1978(?)

Bad advice, Witch. The egg died in that crash.

Too funny (sadly true)

To rookie101, Just to show you how much of a fng I am I just figured out the whole PM thing. BTW thanks for the info.

Jocko

Ok so my previous attempt at being slightly amusing failed miserably. So in an attempt to redeem myself lets try again. First I want to say that I have found this web site to be an irreplaceable source of information and insight into the Helo community. B) I hope to be a respected member of said community. Next I would really like to know how to be a VIP member because I would like to do a daily blog during my time in flight school so that I can give future pilots a look inside the mind of an old nut case changing his life after 43 years of putting up with the everyday bull. If any of you have some insight into a mid life crisis and would like to help me please do till then…………Lets just fly on to the wild blue yonder…………………………………..

Hey Jocko.........I am 43 also and I was starting out in Helos also. Drop me an email at rimargaritaville@yahoo.com and we can compare notes.......Garvey

Well it is nice to see that I'm not alone in the sky

I look forward to talking to ya'll much more as time goes by (no poem intended)

By the way

Old guys rule young farts druel :lol: .........I kill myself

52 years old - Got my rotor ticket in April.

Had been dreamin about it since I got my first heli ride at the age of eight in a 47.

That was 1962.

Fixed wing is great but chopper is a real magic carpet ride.

Man, I'm enjoying life.

gft

52 years old - Got my rotor ticket in April.

Had been dreamin about it since I got my first heli ride at the age of eight in a 47.

That was 1962.

Fixed wing is great but chopper is a real magic carpet ride.

Man, I'm enjoying life.

gft

Way too frekin' kewl...

sign me up for the old guy club! 42 here and lookin' to retire from the fire service within 3-5 years(with a full pension) and will begin training for a new career soon(december). this site has been a blessing and a great motivation for me to do what i have been wanting to do for a long time. my only regret is that i should have done it sooner! anyway, good luck to the rest of you newbies!

sign me up for the old guy club! 42 here and lookin' to retire from the fire service within 3-5 years(with a full pension) and will begin training for a new career soon(december). this site has been a blessing and a great motivation for me to do what i have been wanting to do for a long time. my only regret is that i should have done it sooner! anyway, good luck to the rest of you newbies!

Castaway,

I wish you the best of luck. You'll have a really good time in the world of helicopters. Great bunch of people. Always something new and different. The biggest factor is to get comfortable with your machine and what it will do. Always remember that it is a machine, it does what you tell it, within it's capabilities. Have fun.

Mike

Castaway,

I wish you the best of luck. You'll have a really good time in the world of helicopters. Great bunch of people. Always something new and different. The biggest factor is to get comfortable with your machine and what it will do. Always remember that it is a machine, it does what you tell it, within it's capabilities. Have fun.

Mike

thanks for the words of encouragement mike! i'm always up for a new adventure, but this really has gotten it's grip on me! :D

take care....

thanks for the words of encouragement mike! i'm always up for a new adventure, but this really has gotten it's grip on me! :D

take care....

Hey you live around HAI? That may be a school worth lookin at they have some pretty good programs from what I can tell. Another guy I met through here is lookin at them and went out to see them this past week (Garvey) he lives north of you in Fla. Who knows maybe we can all get together soon, toss back a few and tell eachother some lies :P . PM me if you get a chance

Go for it. I started flying for money at 36 and never looked back. I have flown in Socal (my hometown), Alaska, Chicago (flying news right now) and going to the GOM for some instrument heavy twin time next. 43 years old and 3200 hours of fun!!!!!!!

Being "old" and making the career switch has been good to me. I recommend it, if you have the heart for it. I'm 48 now. ...Dual-rated and flying jets and helicopters both currently. Made the switch from being a computer systems engineer 2 years, 6 months, and 19 days ago. Came up through the unscheduled, part 135 airfreight ranks in plank-wing turboprops and jets, mostly in crummy weather and at night, and instructing in helicopters... Now doing corporate part 91 work in both and instructing helicopters on the side. Every day is another adventure and learning experience. Good luck & go for it. ;)

Being "old" and making the career switch has been good to me. I recommend it, if you have the heart for it. I'm 48 now. ...Dual-rated and flying jets and helicopters both currently. Made the switch from being a computer systems engineer 2 years, 6 months, and 19 days ago. Came up through the unscheduled, part 135 airfreight ranks in plank-wing turboprops and jets, mostly in crummy weather and at night, and instructing in helicopters... Now doing corporate part 91 work in both and instructing helicopters on the side. Every day is another adventure and learning experience. Good luck & go for it. ;)

That just plain a** rocks!!!! I don't care who you are

rock on

God Damn trhis is a long thread.........Well , I am glad that I am not the only old guy who has thought about and finally going for something that was so long just a dream ,,,, but I still could be crazy . I honestly do think we should have an old guy meeting and drink some beers and tell lies . However................what are the pifalls I wonder of doing this in the "40"s?????????????? Any one have any input on that thought???

Garvey------OUT

Jocko,

Just noticed you are in Zeeland, MI. I used to be a part 135 airfreight dog in Learjet 24's & 25's and Embraer E110's through there occasionally (Tulip City Airport). Hang in there and stay "goal oriented".

Garvey,

The obvious pitfall is the eventual loss of your medical certificate after age 40. I have two pensions as well, and am eventually planning on starting a business to protect myself. Putting all your eggs in one basket, is a definite sign of poor planning... Keep it in mind. Retain and practice talents in other areas of interest. ...Something you are passionate about and can keep focused on preferably.

Regards....

Jocko,

Just noticed you are in Zeeland, MI. I used to be a part 135 airfreight dog in Learjet 24's & 25's and Embraer E110's through there occasionally (Tulip City Airport). Hang in there and stay "goal oriented".

Garvey,

The obvious pitfall is the eventual loss of your medical certificate after age 40. I have two pensions as well, and am eventually planning on starting a business to protect myself. Putting all your eggs in one basket, is a definite sign of poor planning... Keep it in mind. Retain and practice talents in other areas of interest. ...Something you are passionate about and can keep focused on preferably.

Regards....

Hey Nib.........I know this is a stupid question but,,,,,,,,,,,, what are the main failures after 40 for medicals!? I have to go and get my medical soon and i was wondring if they say..........."hey look ....you have maybe a year left and that is it.......like a mechanic saying the car has about 2k milkes left b4 it falls apart . ORRRRRRRRRRRR........is it a year by year type of thing . I know the pilots who fly us out to the rigs ( Iwork on an oil rig) seem to have a few years on them . What is the average......":i am getting out of the business age!? Sorry for all the dumb questions---- Garvey

Hey Nib.........I know this is a stupid question but,,,,,,,,,,,, what are the main failures after 40 for medicals!? I have to go and get my medical soon and i was wondring if they say..........."hey look ....you have maybe a year left and that is it.......like a mechanic saying the car has about 2k milkes left b4 it falls apart . ORRRRRRRRRRRR........is it a year by year type of thing . I know the pilots who fly us out to the rigs ( Iwork on an oil rig) seem to have a few years on them . What is the average......":i am getting out of the business age!? Sorry for all the dumb questions---- Garvey

I think the question is probably best suited for a doctor... Most people I know that have lost a medical, it has been for a heart attack. My own family history has heart attacks involved, so I am always doing what I can health-wise to avoid them and making plans if one becomes unavoidable. It is possible to get a medical back after a heart attack with proper assistance, but I would never count on it. It is a very difficult battle once that stage has passed.