Fly the Sky Program

Hello everyone, awesome forum by the way. I am just starting to look at flight schools in Canada and the US. I have came across one called fly the sky program and am just wondering if anyone has trained through them or know anything about them? I am strapped for cash and this just looks like a good way to get my hours and get through flight school. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. www.flythesky.ca

Hello everyone, awesome forum by the way. I am just starting to look at flight schools in Canada and the US. I have came across one called fly the sky program and am just wondering if anyone has trained through them or know anything about them? I am strapped for cash and this just looks like a good way to get my hours and get through flight school. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. www.flythesky.ca

that just seems so shady..........like a russian mafia scheme........however let me know if you find out anything..I am intrigued..........Garvey <_<

From their FAQs...

11. Will I be able to get work as a pilot when I'm done?

With a commercial pilot's license, you end up with 100 hours experience. The problem with that is most employers want you to have atleast 300 hours experience before they will hire you. Our program allows you to get that extra experience quickly and affordably, because you can work off your extra hours of flight time. If you had to pay for these hours, it would cost approximately $450 for each hour. At 200 hours extra that would be $90,000 just to obtain this level of 300 hours experience! We are connected to many people and companies in the helicopter industry. Our focus is to get you connected and experienced so you are in high demand once you're licensed. Our companies may also have pilot positions available in our tourism businesses.

I'm no expert, but I thought you needed 150 hours for the commercial ticket. And I would laugh at anyone who told me it cost $450 an hour to build time. Sounds like a load of you-know-what. I would stay away!!

Do you guys remember a post where the guy would put you in touch with companies and you could build time that way? I wish I could remember the name.

Just checked my E-mail and found it.

Helicoptertimebuilding.com

Here's his reply from a query:

here's my program in a nut-shell:

This is not training. If you need training, this is not for you.

If you need helicopter flight time (PIC time, that is), however, I can help you.

It will most likely be cheaper than anything you can come up with yourself.

I bring people together who want to get hours for whatever reason and those who

have the capacity to accomodate them.

I don't charge any party right now for any service. I am still expanding the

program and the reach of the site, but sooner or later I will have to find a

way to pay for the paysite and continous service. I will most likely arrive at

that point once I have drawn enough attention and made enough contacts to pass

on flying jobs.

Then I will most likely introduce a one-time cover charge to pay for the

expenses. Part of the charge will be refundable if certain requirements are met

by the member. Job referral will be included.

So, if you want you can tell me your experience and loaction. Also tell me what

you normally pay for solo rental including fuel. Let me know what you are

looking for (make/model, intended hours, price, etc.).

I will then have a look and find the cheapest way for you to do it.

I also include my advise as helo pilot / CFII with 1,500 hrs PIC and give you a

hint of the best route. You make the call if you want to follow it.

I know how difficult it is to break into this industry. You will need all help

you can get.

Best regards,

Adolf Schmied

Helicopter pilot / CFII

He seems legit. I wonder if this may be the sape person?

Later

I'm no expert, but I thought you needed 150 hours for the commercial ticket. And I would laugh at anyone who told me it cost $450 an hour to build time. Sounds like a load of you-know-what. I would stay away!!

Canadian company, and Canadian Dollars. In Canada you only need 100 hours for your commercial, and can get a job with 300 hours. Pilots there don't start off as a CFI, they start with a commercial job, as you must have 1500 hours or more for CFI, IIRC. At todays exchange rate 450 canadian is roughly 400 US, which is still expensive, but the costs of operating the aircraft are probably higher there. Not to mention, this is marketing, so they are going to quote the highest price they can find.

Not supporting the school, but I thought a little clarity was needed... :P :)

I am a Canadian resident, but that was the only school of interest in Canada now I will surely be training in the US somewhere.

please don't limit yourself to just that one Canadian school because of the price. There are several excellent schools in BC, PM me for any further questions.

Canadian company, and Canadian Dollars. In Canada you only need 100 hours for your commercial, and can get a job with 300 hours. Pilots there don't start off as a CFI, they start with a commercial job, as you must have 1500 hours or more for CFI, IIRC. At todays exchange rate 450 canadian is roughly 400 US, which is still expensive, but the costs of operating the aircraft are probably higher there. Not to mention, this is marketing, so they are going to quote the highest price they can find.

Not supporting the school, but I thought a little clarity was needed... :P :)

Ahhh...I stand corrected!

Thanks