Curious

Brownie

What is the average salary of an offshore pilot with 1,500 hours? 2,000 hours? What about finding work anywhere in the world?

I want to train specifically for this, what is a great(not good) training school for this, and please list specifics. How much did all of your training cost you before you could see the light at the end of the tunnel?

Thanks

The hours don't make any difference, once you have enough to get hired. It's time with the company, and that's the only thing that matters. Every time you change companies, you go back to newhire pay, more or less. Some companies are now giving credit for offshore experience, up to perhaps 5 years. Starting salary is in the $50,000 range. I have no information on schools, because I was military trained, well over 30 years ago. You do need at least 1000 hours and an instrument rating to get hired, but that is subject to change, as is everything else. If you really want to fly offshore, you might look at Vortex in New Iberia, LA. They supposedly have an arrangement with Air Logistics.

As for vortex, I've only talked to a few GoM pilots outside of this forum, and they've consistantly recommended vortex and their internship program. It's where I'll be headed in january, if I can get all this financial aid junk in order.

Brownie

Working anywhere on the big blue ball depends soley on your licensing arrangements. If you fly in the US a US FAA licence will allow you to fly AC with a US registration. Good luck working in the UK or Canada though on a US licenese. Having 500 or 1000 hours helps get that first job. As far as education is concerned, as a pilot your entire career will include regular schooling. Everything form TDG to Mountain Flying, Underwater Egress as well as the standard IFR and Night. This does not include the regular yearly Safety Training that most larger Helicopter companys adhere to. So be prepared for a life long challenge. Then agian I knew a guy that went to Africa with a UK license and they gave him a licence good to drive anything from a train to a

747. So...........

Just doing my US and A licence, for the glorious benefit of working in the US and A.

Who's hiring, time to check out AMERICAAA!!!!!!!!!

Krusty

Go Oilers!!

As for vortex, I've only talked to a few GoM pilots outside of this forum, and they've consistantly recommended vortex and their internship program. It's where I'll be headed in january, if I can get all this financial aid junk in order.

When do you think you will be heading down to check out Vortex?

When do you think you will be heading down to check out Vortex?

Probably within the next 30 days. I'm still trying to fgure out when I can get a day or two off so I can make the drive out there.

Brownie

You have to be realistic, go get you license, work a few years in VFR, get some usefull experience. Learn to fly in the mountains as PIC, do some utility work. Then once you have a few hours under your belt start thinking off-shore IFR/Night. The industry has alot to offer other than offshore. What about going to the south pole, north pole, the people you meet along the way and the options that pop up can be interesting. Better yet go get your training in Canada - there if they don't think you have got the skills they will tell you in stead of just taking your money and saying good luck. Why Canada- well thats easy the instructors are not given a CFI at 200 hrs ( what a joke) . Most of the instructors have thousands of hours of practical experience so this way they actually have the skills and experience to teach which results in a better training. For years I have met many pilots comming out of the US system and I will tell you that it can be a scarry experience. Trust me on this one. Hey, and to boot with the xchange on the currency it works out to be about the same cost for a commercial.

Best of luck

Krusty

Think CANADA Brownie if you want great!!

Brownie

And FYI as a VFR meduim driver I make a about $900 per day on 4 hour mins. Off shore on a 6 and 6 with one of the reputable companies it works out to about $100,000 per year on a S76, 92.

• 3 months later...