How many of you guys have????

hello,,

just a question, does anyone else share the same interests of flying r/c helicopters and real helicopters as I do. did r/c helicopters get you really interested in flying real helicopters as a career?????

if so, do you still fly r/c helicopers after living your dream as a real pilot.

are you facinated with r/c helicopters as you might be with real helicopters. do you see the same flying aerodynamics as r/c. did you know, r/c helicopters can hover upside down????

just a survey type question, I have always wondered if I am the only one, or if this is common...

Secondly, do you see any advantages to flying r/c helicopters and then going for you private helicopter license, do r/c pilots do better with learning to fly than other students.????

thanks jp

hey dlo,

I flew R/C heli a few years ago when i was a lot younger (about 15).

I got into it because of my obsession with helicopters, but i couldn't actually fly yet! So i decided to try RC helis :D

I haven't been flying them recently as i've been pretty tied down with exams, but once i'm finished i'll get back into it.

I've seen all the aerobatics of the crazy R/C pilots and some of the stuff they do is insane! haha how i wish i could fly like that :P

As for R/C helis vs real helis, i'd say there's a correlation, but its still heaps different, but every bit of experience helps!

I used to fly R/C helicopters competitively. I flew actual helicopters before I got into R/C. I don't think they helped much, and wished I had saved the money for training looking back on the experience. Putting things in perspective, I would have saved over $13K. I am not putting R/C helicopters down, that is just an opinion on how they fit into my overall experience. They are a real kick to fly.

I started flying RC helis a few years when my wife got me one for Christmas. I mainly fly a little electric Blade CP which is good for indoors. I have found that a lot of what applies to RC applies in my real world training. A lot of the mechanics are the same or have similar counterparts. The physics are the same albeit on a smaller scale. I don't know if its just me or if its from flying RCs that my hovering in a R22 has progressed fairly quickly in just the few hours I've logged. I just need to get the pedals in sync now. RCs mainly rely on the gyro to handle most of the antitorque.

BTW my interest in helicopters and flying started way before i got into RCs. When i was a kid I wanted to fly airplanes.

I got a BladeCP a year or so ago. I've been told that some of the quickest students for real Helicopters were avid R/C flyers. I've messed with mine but started having sticky collective issues before I could get very good at anything but nose-out. I was able to hover within a 5 foot radius or so the first time I sat in an R22 - but that was after quite a bit of time on various PC-Sims - I hadn't bought the CP Yet. Likewise I was able to fly the CP as soon as I got it (Nose out at least.)

This is simply amazing. I think I'm upset that anyone could be that much better at something than I am.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIGGNEzzanw

I've seen all the aerobatics of the crazy R/C pilots and some of the stuff they do is insane! haha how i wish i could fly like that

This is simply amazing. I think I'm upset that anyone could be that much better at something than I am.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIGGNEzzanw

Thats the sort of thing i was refering too! That guy is insane

Thats the sort of thing i was refering too! That guy is insane

yes, alan szabo is insane, I have seen him fly in person and it takes many years to get that good, the concepts are quite similar. My facination with helicopers came before I got into r/c,, but flying a big gas r/c heli has just furthered my facination more and got me to seek my training. watching the firebirds or whatever the blue angels are of helicopters on the internet has also interested me. just wondering if others flew serious r/c now, before or after they got into piloting real aircraft. r/c can be very enjoyable as well, lots of the parts remain the same and the controls are the same or closely related as well..........

I fly a Trex 450 XL. It definately got me into wanting to fly helicopters as a career. I still fly it. I havent

started training yet. But I am still worried about financing. If I went to train somewhere it would be at HAI in Titusville, FL.

Jordan

Look into the Blade CP -- $200 with Battery and Radio - ready to fly.

Just got one of those as a wedding present from the brother in law. Already broke one landing gear and 3 blades. (Quick stops = bad). Plenty of fun though, LiPo batteries are the single greatest thing to happen to the RC hobby since they invented radio waves. That's entirely my own opinion by the way. ;)