The Helicopter Job

I was reading through the "Which is the best Tour company" post and I realized that some of the new pilots may only be seeing the money as a reason to work for a company. There are many other things to think about when selecting an employer.

We are in a pilot shortage so as a pilot you have the controls as far as where to work. Pick a company that is best for you. This does not always mean which company is paying the most.

I worked for a couple of companies who paid very well but I did not stay at those jobs because the management was hard on the employees and/or the work was dangerous and/or the work was unstable/seasonal.

You need to find a balance of good pay, good management, enjoyable work, longterm stability, excellent maintenance, and good co-workers. When you find this, settle down and enjoy it because it is hard to find in our line of work. If you want to travel around and jump from job to job that will be easy. Finding a good company and holding on to it is the hard part.

VR -

Isn't it pretty much standard in this industry to bounce around all over the world throughout your career (unless you settle on the GOM)? That seems to be the one attribute that I have read about the most. Seeing how there is so much mobility and unstability; is finding one of these situations that you describe the norm, or more of a freak chance?

I know that when and IF I ever get there.....I am not going to give a hoot where the job is or for who said job is.....I'm going to have a Mortgage payment to deal with (that says sallie mae on it). Unfortunately, that is first and foremost and I am going to wager that more will agree that that part of it outweighs the kushy schedule, in the ideal location, for a company that has long term potential. 10 or 15 years into the game....I can see where this will be a very important consideration AFTER Sallie Mae has consumed the first 1/2 of your professional helicopter career. Most of these loan notes that we are killing ourselves with are for 15 and 20 years. Money ( as it is in every other aspect of our lives ) is supreme when you have that kind of debt for the very specialized purpose of helicopters. For some, throw a family in the mix and a couple car payments..... it goes without saying at least until the training debts are taken care of. I may well be wrong, but I have to wonder.

I'm pretty sure that a retiring CW4 has a far different set of criteria, probably more along the lines of what you described in your post above. As he is embarking on a second career, in the same field, simply under a different set of circumstances.

VR -

Isn't it pretty much standard in this industry to bounce around all over the world throughout your career (unless you settle on the GOM)? That seems to be the one attribute that I have read about the most. Seeing how there is so much mobility and unstability; is finding one of these situations that you describe the norm, or more of a freak chance?

I know that when and IF I ever get there.....I am not going to give a hoot where the job is or for who said job is.....I'm going to have a Mortgage payment to deal with (that says sallie mae on it). Unfortunately, that is first and foremost and I am going to wager that more will agree that that part of it outweighs the kushy schedule, in the ideal location, for a company that has long term potential. 10 or 15 years into the game....I can see where this will be a very important consideration AFTER Sallie Mae has consumed the first 1/2 of your professional helicopter career. Most of these loan notes that we are killing ourselves with are for 15 and 20 years. Money ( as it is in every other aspect of our lives ) is supreme when you have that kind of debt for the very specialized purpose of helicopters. For some, throw a family in the mix and a couple car payments..... it goes without saying at least until the training debts are taken care of. I may well be wrong, but I have to wonder.

I'm pretty sure that a retiring CW4 has a far different set of criteria, probably more along the lines of what you described in your post above. As he is embarking on a second career, in the same field, simply under a different set of circumstances.

You have very valid points.

Why did you decide to pursue a career as a helicopter pilot? That question is what drives your career choices but everything in your job IS LONGTERM. How are you going to pay off that loan if you do not have a job for more than 5 years?

I did jump around like all the other helicopter workers but the jumping around is getting less of a requirement for the newer pilots than it was for the new pilot in the past. I too had loans to pay off, debt to pay back... but staying at a good company benefits all of us. The helicopter companies need to realize that we are their future and their ability to make a profit and stay in business long enough to pay back their business loans and debts depends on keeping good employees long term (or at least long enough to allow them to keep their profits).

The good stable job for us is also a stable business platform for the helicopter companies. (By the way, stable employment can mean seasonal.)

I realize this is all idealism. The truth is closer to what you are saying... but spend over 20 years in this industry (or any industry) and what I posted is what you will strive for in a job.

...but like I always say, what do I know...

I'm kind of with flyfisherman, although I do see your point. I've had jobs that pay very well, but they weren't the kind of job you'd want to take for long. Assuming I survive past being a CFII, I'm going to be looking for a stable, well paying, non-seasonal job and I'd like to have some kind of health plan too. Does that mean GoM? Pretty much, from what I've read. Mainly, I just want to fly as much as possible and earn enough to pay for my sallie mae and maybe eat regularly.

I'm 22 right now and this is my first real career. I've had jobs since I was 16, but I always ended up looking towards the sky. My views are probably a bit different from those of you who are coming into this from another career and may already have a house that is nearly paid off. I'd like to own a house myself one day, so pay is kind of a big factor.

<_ data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="36275" data-ipsquote-username="ADRidge" data-cite="ADRidge" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="4935" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic">

I'm kind of with flyfisherman, although I do see your point. I've had jobs that pay very well, but they weren't the kind of job you'd want to take for long. Assuming I survive past being a CFII, I'm going to be looking for a stable, well paying, non-seasonal job and I'd like to have some kind of health plan too. Does that mean GoM? Pretty much, from what I've read. Mainly, I just want to fly as much as possible and earn enough to pay for my sallie mae and maybe eat regularly.

I'm 22 right now and this is my first real career. I've had jobs since I was 16, but I always ended up looking towards the sky. My views are probably a bit different from those of you who are coming into this from another career and may already have a house that is nearly paid off. I'd like to own a house myself one day, so pay is kind of a big factor.

Generally, its behooving for an individual to upon arriving in that persons chosen profession to feel out the job market and part of that might be moving about a fair amount. Not only is it advantageous for that persons work experience, but moving about also allows the opportunity to see a bit of the world. (I can think of a raft of people who have never left their hometown communties, YEESH!!!) :ph34r:

I moved around the country in my early years, had numerous jobs, and ultimately settled into a company (flying Part 91 FW and RW) where I very much enjoyed my coworkers, lifestyle, and professionally I was in heaven. Spent 14 years there. All that got me the home, the toys, etc. Thought Id retire from that job too.... NOT to be realized. <_>

Aside from our desires, other circumstances arise commonly dictating a change. Now that Im old (HA... sorry, couldnt resist) the flying I do is seasonal (perfect), its Alaska (perfect) and the actual flying I do not only am a good at, but the combination of an earlier formal education coupled with an avid interest in the countryside I get to experience and share knowledge set me pefectly into a niche that was meant for me. Funny how our lives turn out. B)

But when youre starting out? Try different skills, places, meet people around the counrty and the world. Heck, at twenty something years old, you aint seen anything yet. Im not meaning this as an insult, but as encouragement to experience some life before settling into a... .... ............... 'rut'? ;)

CC

Ok, this rhetoric too might impress some folks as somewhat 'idealistic'.... SO? Well, it works for me!!! :mellow:

<_<

Generally, its behooving for an individual to upon arriving in that persons chosen profession to feel out the job market and part of that might be moving about a fair amount. Not only is it advantageous for that persons work experience, but moving about also allows the opportunity to see a bit of the world. (I can think of a raft of people who have never left their hometown communties, YEESH!!!) :ph34r:

I moved around the country in my early years, had numerous jobs, and ultimately settled into a company (flying Part 91 FW and RW) where I very much enjoyed my coworkers, lifestyle, and professionally I was in heaven. Spent 14 years there. All that got me the home, the toys, etc. Thought Id retire from that job too.... NOT to be realized. <_<

Aside from our desires, other circumstances arise commonly dictating a change. Now that Im old (HA... sorry, couldnt resist) the flying I do is seasonal (perfect), its Alaska (perfect) and the actual flying I do not only am a good at, but the combination of an earlier formal education coupled with an avid interest in the countryside I get to experience and share knowledge set me pefectly into a niche that was meant for me. Funny how our lives turn out. B)

But when youre starting out? Try different skills, places, meet people around the counrty and the world. Heck, at twenty something years old, you aint seen anything yet. Im not meaning this as an insult, but as encouragement to experience some life before settling into a... .... ............... 'rut'? ;)

CC

Ok, this rhetoric too might impress some folks as somewhat 'idealistic'.... SO? Well, it works for me!!! :mellow:

Good point. Believe me, I've got wanderlust like few people have and would love to fly in AK or the Middle East or god knows where, but the reality is until I build enough hours for those jobs, a well paying job with benefits in the gulf is probably the place for me. I'd love to hear more stories from "old timers" (no offense), including the bad and the ugly. Jobs that fell through, etc.

As far as never having seen the world, I understand that feeling. I've been to several different countries, most of which were between ages 9 and 15. I wish I could see more of the world and would jump at the chance. But at the same time (and maybe I'm opening up too much) it'd be nice to settle down sometime in the forseeable future.

I'm rambling. Point is, I don't care where the job is. I want a good company, decent pay and I want to know the company is going to take care of its professional employees in a way that is similar to those of my peers in Business.

Pay is not a factor for me as long as I can put food on the table and a roof over my head for my family and myself I will be fine. I have about 10 years in the military and am getting out to try and fly in the EMS industry. The military quality of life is just so poor and I want more stability right now and would be willing to take a cut in pay so I won't be deployed away from my wife and children for months on end and having them worry about me getting killed somewhere in a desert far away. It is just not worth it. What is more worth it is a stable home for my children to get established in school, make friends, and not have to pack up and move every few years. The starting pay will be less than I would make in the military, but after a few years it whould catch up and become equivalent. Plus the 7 days on and 7 days off rotating schedule that most EMS companies use mean you are only working 6 months of the year essentially unlike 24 hrs a day 365 days a year where you are a slave of the military often times putting in 60 hr weeks. So as long as I can provide the basics for my family and have a stable job the pay is a small factor.