Segmenting the Flight Training Forum - Separate CFI Forum??

Sactown77,

I believe that the Flight Training Forum is this place. I see no reason why it needs to be a 'CFI' specific forum. Afterall, student feedback is important, many of the students will be turing into CFIs too.

There was once a time when the flight training forum was a place where techniques and ideas could be shared amongst both CFIs and students together. The chats revovled around exactly those things that you say. Flight Training - Techniques, Ideas etc..etc.. Where you would talk about how you teach the quickstop, or SWP. Where we would sharp-shoot each other on FAR questions. Where we would share our the best and the worst of our teaching / learning experiences for others to heed.

Ahhh, those were the days!

The problem is, that over the last say...12 months... the flight training forum seems to have morphed into a place where you come slam your latest flight school or instructor! Where someone asks about a school, and we have a flurry of hate mail flying around for a few days.

Have a look back a couple of years, and you'll find a very different discussion going on in this forum.

Of course, I am no longer a student seeking a school or a job so I would love to see the old style back. Maybe you are right? Maybe we do need another forum. Somewhere where all this bitching can go on, so we can use the 'flight training forum' for what it used to be....flight training! A 'Wannabes Forum'? A Flight Trainng - Non-Operational Forum? I don't know what you'd call it, but its something to think about.

Joker

yeah,

your right. maybe there should be a "bitching wannabe" forum. well, i guess if we want it to go back to the old days we should just take control and do it. I just want feed back. im not gonna pretend like i know everything there is to know about teaching. I know some of you guys have some great ideas out there and id love to hear them. even student feed back would be awesome. The more i talk the more it seems like we need a "Flight Training Forum". lol.

Joker,

You hit the nail on the head, Rey created a forum for CFI's students and wannbes like myself to share info and ideas. I have been a member for a while but I have posted only a few times, ( I just picked an avatar today HA! ) due to the fact that my level of knowledge was very low. I suggest everyone read Flingwing 206's post concerning how to conduct oneself on this forum. I would like to thank all the old (I have no idea how old you really are so this is not meant to offend) guy's such as yourself, Rey, Gomer Pylot, Fling, and others for giving useful and patient answers to those i.e. myself who are learning and trying to gather as much info as they can before they start training. I hope one day I can act as such. Do we need a dedicated CFI forum? maybe, or maybe we need a bitchfest section, either way this site has been an asset to me because of those who are willing to share their knowledge

Thank you,

Josh

now lets see if this avatar works.

It seems like this particular subforum is used primarily to cite flaws in a particular flight school one has attended. I propose that this section be split into a few different segments. Perhaps a flight school review area to segment off all the negative talk and allow for more productive discussion about flight training in general.

While I am interested in others experiences with flight training, much of it does not apply to me, but it does dominate this section.

Just a thought from a "newbie".

Thanks.

Edited by lwalling

It seems like this particular subforum is used primarily to cite flaws in a particular flight school one has attended. I propose that this section be split into a few different segments. Perhaps a flight school review area to segment off all the negative talk and allow for more productive discussion about flight training in general.

While I am interested in others experiences with flight training, much of it does not apply to me, but it does dominate this section.

Just a thought from a "newbie".

Thanks.

Good Morning!

Maybe its because I haven't had enough coffee, but I got confused after reading this. Reading/rereading what you said, I think that you are making a suggestion to split flight school review threads and flight training questions? Your last sentence really threw me for a loop a little bit as reading between the lines, I took it that you were not interested in others "experiences with flight training" and interested more in flight school reviews?

Maybe the moderator can step in, but I believe the intent of this section was for flight training experiences and not for the flaming of schools.

There is a school review area and I wish it was used a little more than it is. But I like the idea of an area dedicated for discussion of schools as opposed to general flight training discussions. Welcome!

Hello,

No, you actually got it backwards! I am more interested in flight training experiences and advice rather than specific school flaming :)

Good Morning!

Maybe its because I haven't had enough coffee, but I got confused after reading this. Reading/rereading what you said, I think that you are making a suggestion to split flight school review threads and flight training questions? Your last sentence really threw me for a loop a little bit as reading between the lines, I took it that you were not interested in others "experiences with flight training" and interested more in flight school reviews?

Maybe the moderator can step in, but I believe the intent of this section was for flight training experiences and not for the flaming of schools.

There is a school review area and I wish it was used a little more than it is. But I like the idea of an area dedicated for discussion of schools as opposed to general flight training discussions. Welcome!

Hello,

No, you actually got it backwards! I am more interested in flight training experiences and advice rather than specific school flaming :)

I propose this then: Read the things you're interested in and don't read the things that you aren't. There's gotta be a limit, or I'm gonna end up getting on here and reading the "Left Pedal Forum" amd how much they hate the guys in the "Right Pedal Forum". I dunno if I can handle that just yet...Robbie VS Schweizer is already too much.

There's a Robbie vs. Schweizer forum? :D

j/k

I've read enough history and flown an aircraft that is much maligned enough to know that you learn to fly the aircraft's envelope and apply the envelope to the mission. You don't fly one aircraft like another or you will definitely end up bending the aircraft, yourself, or both.

I propose this then: Read the things you're interested in and don't read the things that you aren't. There's gotta be a limit, or I'm gonna end up getting on here and reading the "Left Pedal Forum" amd how much they hate the guys in the "Right Pedal Forum". I dunno if I can handle that just yet...Robbie VS Schweizer is already too much.

ROFL!

Obviously, I already do this. The suggestion was meant as just that, and I don't know that segmenting would necessarily create more for you and I to read. As we would probably avoid the school flaming section :).

The comment was meant as a potential suggestion that might improve the forum in general, nothing more.

How about a "Rants and Raves" Section added? I will agree that all the school flaming and SSH rants get old real quick in the Training-General Forums. If someone wants to speak out about there school experiences, then lets give them a place to put it instead of here........ Just a thought is all folks.

A couple of suggestions.

Flight Training - Commerce

Flight Training - Operations

???

OR

Flight Training - Products, Goods and Services

Flight Training - Teaching and Learning

Hmm, I like the last pair. Suggests that teaching must always come with learning and vice versa.

J

How about in the Reviews section? ;)

The only thing I can see about the reviews section is that there is no way to have a dialog or two-way communication. All you can do is leave a comment, and also not all the schools are listed either. If i am wrong about this then please correct me then. Later guys.

• 2 months later...
The only thing I can see about the reviews section is that there is no way to have a dialog or two-way communication. All you can do is leave a comment, and also not all the schools are listed either. If i am wrong about this then please correct me then. Later guys.

Verified members are able to upload a new flight school on the reviews page. If you don't see a flight school listed and want to review please upload the listing and write a review.

Keep the ideas coming.

-Rey