CB or CBi

The CBi is more or less the same, it just has a fuel injected engine which removes the carb heat requirement.

It also has better throttle response and an improved hub & shaft that has twice the TBO of the old one.  Other than that, same helicopter.  In fact, when replacing the engine, you can upgrade a CB to a CBi for not much more money.  I'll probably upgrade mine when it needs it (which won't be for awhile)

I own one of the old CBs, planning to buy a second.  I was offered a deal from Schweitzer to buy a new CBi to be the first in the South to run one (photos on the web site, marketing promotion stuff, etc.), but they didn't offer enough of a discount to justify the price.  Instead I'll get a used CB for a whole lot less money.  :)

Jason

Jason,

Does the extra cost justify the additional attributes of the CBi.

Heli Ops

Heli Ops,

If I were buying new, then yes by all means.  The spined hub and shaft alone is worth the price difference.

If you have a CB, you can upgrade it to a CBi with an engine swap (and a few other minor changes).  The hub and shaft will get the upgrade automaticly when it is due as they are not currently planning to make any of the old style (so I'm told).

They raised the list price about $5,000 when they introduced the CBi, just enough to cover the value of the double life hub and shaft (which is an expensive part at $11,000)

I don't think the fuel injected engine costs any more (same power, 180hp), but they do charge a thousand bucks or so to make the minor changes required for it.  I don't know the specific details, got a fresh engine in my CB in Jan so it will be awhile before I need another one.  :)

Jason

• 1 year later...

Really late here (just noticed there are more forums!).

Important note: there will be no more new 300CBs - they are being replaced in the lineup by the CBi.

For a trainer, the CBi has some nice features - low-RPM horn, auto clutch engagement, no carb heat. Of course if you go somewhere else and fly the omnipresent CB or C, you'll have to learn to deal with all that.

The CBi seems to have better "get up and go" than the CB, but ours was new this May, so... The only downside is it is a little more complex to start, especially for a new student.

However, if you have the cash for a new aircraft, I would certainly recommend the CBi!

This is an old topic, several things have changed since then.

First, I passed on buying a second used CB, the market just didn't have a good one to offer at the time.  Instead I bought another airplane and have done pretty well with that.

My old flight school got a brand new 300CBi instrument trainer in May and it was a MX nightmare.  That thing has had more problems in the first 200 hours than I had in the 1,000 hours mine flew in the first year I owned it.  I got to fly it three times, and honestly I wasn't that impressed.  It was no faster, no smoother, than either of our 300CBs, and the only real difference was the lack of carb heat.  It also cost over $250,000 with all the options, making it a lousy value in my humble opinon.

One thought I had was to find a CFI who wanted to partner on a R-44 and have a 300CB and a R-44 flight school that also offered tours, photo work, instrument/commercial trianing, etc. in the R-44 as well as primary training in the 300CB.

For now I'm focused on getting the rest of my stuck-wing ratings, hopefully by the end of November.

Always an adventure!  :D

Jason

• 4 months later...
Hello,

do the 300's have a governer/corelator? or is it a complete manual throttle?

thanks for any response.

300Cs have an optional automatic throttle governor. I cannot find any mention of that option for the 300CB/CBi, which makes sense since those models are primarily for training.

Dave Blevins