Careers

Hello, I am new to posting to the forum, but not to using the job finder. I was wondering if anyone else has a really hard time finding a job as a flight instructor for a very long period of time? I've been seeking a job literally anywhere that I can afford the cost of living VS the per/hr pay or salary. I've only gotten one job offer so far and even if I were to get another job and my wife to work, we wouldn't be able to pay back the loan we took out to finance my helicopter licenses. I've bought the professional resumes and applied to about thirty places total over the last three months. I did not expect to get a job instantly as a pilot as soon as I got my CFI, but I am really starting to get discouraged. If anyone has any suggestions to someone willing to move anywhere for reasonable pay (one that is survivable with cost of living ect.), please let me know...I'm starting to think I made a huge mistake going to school for this. Sorry for such a long post! Thanks :)

Sounds like you're totally relying on your helicopter training...My advice (from the little bit that I've heard from you) is...

If you're desperate for cash...consider working in some other industry (maybe whatever you did before) and offer your CFI skills on a part-time basis locally until something you want comes up.

Also post your resume everywhere...(maybe you did that already)

I'm sure several people on this forum will give you some other ideas...so keep in touch.

Bottom-line...debt sucks...but for most getting into this industry...it's the only way. Get stable with whatever job you can so that you don't default on your payments.

I got some good advice on this thread below...check it out see if it helps...do a search for it...I started it.

1000 - The magic number..., Ever seen an exception???

Best of luck to ya...

Edited by zemogman

ChprPlt, not every school will hire every CFI they produce, they may not need that many CFI's. Silver State will be that way someday. I was in the same situation at one point. I got my CFI and before my check ride was told I would have a job. However, it took a bit longer to get my check ride done since I was working full time and the job was filled. I didn't let that get me down and I sent my resume out everywhere and was able to find something. Earizona, don't give up, the harder you try the more success you will have. In the mean time work where ever until something turns up. Just remember don't give up.

Edited by JDHelicopterPilot

I graduated from a school in AZ; I really do like the owner at that school and don't want to give them a bad name. I was told in the beginning they hire nearly every student that gets their CFI through them, but recently I found out they have hired a total of 5 out of 23 CFI "grads" per year. They were encouraging me to get my CFII, but I don't think I can afford anymore debt. Let's just say I've invested two times the normal amount of money going to two different helicopter schools and it took me about four years to get my CFI. The first school I attended told the students that they would get their CFI about a year. I was there for two and a half years before I switched schools with only a private license. That's the trouble with life I suppose; some lessons you have to learn in a difficult way. I'm just trying to make the best of it. I'd love a part time job getting my hours as an instructor; I'll do nearly any job as long as it's safe and legal. Thanks for your responses!

I graduated from a school in AZ; I really do like the owner at that school and don't want to give them a bad name. I was told in the beginning they hire nearly every student that gets their CFI through them, but recently I found out they have hired a total of 5 out of 23 CFI "grads" per year. They were encouraging me to get my CFII, but I don't think I can afford anymore debt. Let's just say I've invested two times the normal amount of money going to two different helicopter schools and it took me about four years to get my CFI. The first school I attended told the students that they would get their CFI about a year. I was there for two and a half years before I switched schools with only a private license. That's the trouble with life I suppose; some lessons you have to learn in a difficult way. I'm just trying to make the best of it. I'd love a part time job getting my hours as an instructor; I'll do nearly any job as long as it's safe and legal. Thanks for your responses!

Some folks in the fixed wing world deliver pizza's because the schedule is easily changed to support your instructing schedule.