chasing my dream -please help

Yea, I was considering that. Just taking what I've earned from my job and just start at some school near by, but I know it wont get me too far. I already work nearly full time. Right now I couldn't handle another job. (I work in customer service now and I'm usually burnt out by the end of the day)

I mean by having a mature conversation with them about it (no fighting)

All my conversations with my parents are like that... it wouldn't make a difference. I hate fighting so I hardly ever raise my voice. It's usually my mom that does the yelling. She's the unreasonable one... (for example, I got in trouble for staying out till 2 tonight because I'm a girl and apparently it's just not right for girls to stay out late unless they're 21...according to her excuse.)

And I honestly don't know if my dad would help support me just from seeing me go do it on my own.

Edited by emm

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

emm,

I am a dad going thru kinda the same thing with my 17 year old daughter, far as what she wants to be when she grows up. I am still figuring out what I want to be, too. lol..I guess I am going thru a mid life crisis..

Anyways, I think if you are really serious about this then you need to get your mom to tell you what she fears about you taking this route. Money, death, girls can't do that, or what ever and deal with the issue your mom has about being a pilot. If she is affraid of you dying, get NTSB reports on traffic deaths in the NJ area, as an example. I am a believer in having some sort of secondary education to fall back on. Me, I have 18 years mechanic experience if piloting doesn't work out for me..Keep in mind they really do have your best interest in mind and like someone else stated, are in a way trying to protect you from yourself.

I have a niece that has changed majors 4 times in 2 years of college. She has no clue what she wants to do in life. IMHO she is picking her career firstly by how much you make and whether she likes it or not is farther down the list.....She takes a semester or two then thinks uhhh, I don't like this and changes again. She has not put any real thought or research into what she wants to be..Just be for sure this is what you want. Take some flights both Fixed and Rotory or get just a solo or private before you commit to major funds.

Food For Thought, good luck

P.S. You can make of it what you want with some effort and patience. My first primary CFI was a Japanese Lady. She came over from Japan, attended some college in FL, went to Vortex for PPL. Laid off for a year, then went to HAI and went thru CFI. She is flying B407's now for PHI. If a woman can come that far from around the world to fly here, then I am sure if you want it, you will find a way how to do it. Just be sure you can pay the monthly note on the loan, if you go that route, even if you are not flying.

Here is one reason to have a second education in something other than aviation. Keep in mind this is Very Drastic, but still gets the point across. This comes from a fixed wing school close to me, in their monthly newsletter. And, shows how fragile we really are.

Monica was coming to work one day in December at Weiser Airpark. As she got off highway 290 to make the turn off into Weiser a big 4 by 4, you know the one with the big bumper, got off behind her and tried to accelerate around her on the right side. As she slowed to make the right turn into MVP he plowed into the right side of her compact car. The car was demolished, pushed into the ditch. The mailboxes wiped out. The right door of the small car was pushed to the center hump. Amazingly, Monica seemed to be alright. She was up and walking around. She dealt with police and the teenage driver of the truck.

The next day she couldn't get out of bed. She was paralyzed from the neck down. She attempted to get medical attention, but the attention appeared to meager at best. She had no insurance, and lived on the subsistence of wage of a young flight instructor coming up through the ranks.

For those of you who knew her and flew with her, you know that she was a delightful, dedicated flight instructor. She did all of her training at MVP Aero Academy. She loved it. She loved instructing and was very good at it. She had a very positive attitude about life and teaching and passed that confidence on to her students. I think she would have taught for the rest of her life, she loved it so much.

Monica's condition has not improved and by the time you read this it will have been more than two months since her accident. She has had few doctor's appointments and it appears that attorneys are not interested in this case. She does not have an attorney at this time.

Hey Mechanic... Horrible about the flight instructor! I can't imagine how much that must hurt for her! The owner of the school I went to had a massive heart attacke the other day and they've taken away his license and he is shattered!

Anyway, I was just curious about the Japanese lady... how old was she when she started her training? I'm going to be 27 next month and a lot of the pilots I speak to tell me that I should have had at least 6 years experience and more than a thousand hours by now for any company to consider me! Honestly, its not been the nicest thing in the world to hear so I just like to hear about people who have a change of heart professionaly and get into flying "late" in life.

Hey Mechanic... Horrible about the flight instructor! I can't imagine how much that must hurt for her! The owner of the school I went to had a massive heart attacke the other day and they've taken away his license and he is shattered!

Anyway, I was just curious about the Japanese lady... how old was she when she started her training? I'm going to be 27 next month and a lot of the pilots I speak to tell me that I should have had at least 6 years experience and more than a thousand hours by now for any company to consider me! Honestly, its not been the nicest thing in the world to hear so I just like to hear about people who have a change of heart professionaly and get into flying "late" in life.

Hey Sunny1,

The lady is mid 30's.