8500-7 Eye Evaluation Form (concerning color)?

I've posted about this before, but recently I went to an AME, and he had a test that I've never seen before. I'm told it was 'alternative' color vision test (AOC-HRR). The AME didn't put any restrictions on my license, except to wear contacts or glasses. No color vision vision restrictions in other words.

I've taken various other color vision tests and not lived-up to what I thought were the standards. My AME is not an eye doctor, but I'm told by Virtual Flight Surgeons (an online medical consulting group) that he can sign off a 8500-7 Eye Evaluation form, to apply for 'Letter of Exception'.

Is there a reason not to believe that?

This would enable me to hold reference that I don't have to take the test over-and-over again each year. Being that I don't commonly see that test in most offices, I think this would be the best route, so I don't have to take the color vision test on the Ishihara plates...which most offices hold, and I don't think I would pass. The AOC has shapes, and it's easier, but not readily available.

I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with getting a 8500-7 filled out (preferable for color or otherwise). I'm going ask my doctor soon, but I didn't want do this ill-informed. Virtual Flight Surgeon suggests that it primarily has to have the name of the test taken, the way it's done, and the results. I've seen the form, and I just want to know if anyone here has been in a simliar situation and how particular are they in how the form is filled-out...? I don't really want to go back and forth with AME on this. I'm not even sure he's familiar with the process, although I'm told he should be.

Reccomendations, comments, anything helpful....

I've posted about this before, but recently I went to an AME, and he had a test that I've never seen before. I'm told it was 'alternative' color vision test (AOC-HRR). The AME didn't put any restrictions on my license, except to wear contacts or glasses. No color vision vision restrictions in other words.

I've taken various other color vision tests and not lived-up to what I thought were the standards. My AME is not an eye doctor, but I'm told by Virtual Flight Surgeons (an online medical consulting group) that he can sign off a 8500-7 Eye Evaluation form, to apply for 'Letter of Exception'.

Is there a reason not to believe that?

This would enable me to hold reference that I don't have to take the test over-and-over again each year. Being that I don't commonly see that test in most offices, I think this would be the best route, so I don't have to take the color vision test on the Ishihara plates...which most offices hold, and I don't think I would pass. The AOC has shapes, and it's easier, but not readily available.

I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with getting a 8500-7 filled out (preferable for color or otherwise). I'm going ask my doctor soon, but I didn't want do this ill-informed. Virtual Flight Surgeon suggests that it primarily has to have the name of the test taken, the way it's done, and the results. I've seen the form, and I just want to know if anyone here has been in a simliar situation and how particular are they in how the form is filled-out...? I don't really want to go back and forth with AME on this. I'm not even sure he's familiar with the process, although I'm told he should be.

Reccomendations, comments, anything helpful....

I had one filled out back in February by my eye doc. This was because I had LASIK and was renewing my 2nd class. I went to the AME with it already filled out. I see 20/20 in each eye so I meet the standards. He kept the 8500 and send it to Oklahoma City to be kept on file.

It sound like you got your medical.... But you just don't want to keep taking the same test? Is that correct? I try and go to the same AME each time. Don't really know about a letter of exception but I do know of pilots with SODA's (Statement of Demonstrated Ability) That might be an option as well.