Age Reccomendations

tlr

Hi, I'm new here and I just wanted to make this thread to get some input on my situation. I'm a junior in High School and have always loved the idea of learning how to fly helicopters and maybe even becoming a military pilot of some sort. I know these are huge aspirations for someone as young as I am (17) but I would like some feedback on how realistic my dream is at this age. My parents make good money and although I would love to begin learning how to fly helicopters, I really don't want to skip out on college to do this, I'd much rather wait until I have a good job (or if I win the lottery :P).

Some more background information about me is that I've never ridden in a helicopter before, I absolutely hate rollercoasters because I am not in control of the forces being exterted on me, which make me want to puke (are they similar to flying/riding in a helicopter?) and I am perfectly fine in planes, the g-force gets me a bit but I'm fine afterwards. So could you guys give me feedback at things I could do at my age until I'm financially stable to afford lessons and feedback the question of motion sickness I might have?

Thanks. :lol:

As long as your willing to work for it, Your definitly old enough. Took me most of high school working at my local airport to earn my ppl heli licence. I had my demo flight when I was 15,and soloed at your age. I'm now 18 and well into my instument and commercial training. But be carefull: once you take a demo ride, You'll definitly be hooked! best of luck.

keep me posted. Bigbearbmx@aol.com

ps: I dont like roller costers either...but I do like to do autos in the 22...go figure.

post-2797-1179205329_thumb.jpg

Don't worry about the g-forces or any of that stuff. You'll be fine. Like you said, you get sick because you're not in control of forces and can't prepare for them. I get sick riding in the back of an airplane, helicopter, or car, but never in the front if I'm flying & driving. I did at first in airplanes, but that went away after 50 hrs or so.

Definately not too young.....I started at 12, soloed at 16, checkride at 17, instructing at 19, A&P at 21, flying EMS at 22. Go to college while you're in flight school. I got a B.S. in Aviation Management and a MBA in the middle of all that through [mostly] night classes. Go for it man! Just don't let women get into that process....put that off until you're all done with school.

If your parents have the cash, start now. It took me about $200,000 for my education over 10 years....they paid for about half--private fixed wing, heli, and B.S. degree (which included the A&P). I paid for the other half--commercial, CFI, instrument, and Grad school through 4 years of work at a flight school. And just a few years later, I made it all back in under a year flying EMS.

START NOW.....Never give up, don't get burned out, and never let the career outlook get you down. The world will always need helicopter pilots.

Im 17 also and i am seriously wanting to start and have been for a year now but there is one small problem....Money. My parents cant afford it, i work partime whilst at college earning enough to put new strings on my guitar every month.

Im going to have to finish college, work for 3/4 years to save enough, then start. Which frustrates me no end. :angry:

Age does not really count... What the helicopter industry is looking for is good people skills, professionalism, good head on the shoulders and good hand on the controls.

My first helicopter flight (where I had the hands on the controls) was with 13 years.

Started private with 16, checkride with 17 and now I am flying every two weeks sightseeing tours beside my main-job. Now I´m 18 and I never had problems with passengers.

I will start my CHPL and CFI with 20 years....and that is really not to young!

You see, many other young pilots did it before you and had not a problem with age.

GOOD LUCK

TLR,

Don't even worry about it. I was in your situation a couple years back except my parents don't make good money. I had my first demo flight when I was 15 and after that I was hook. I soloed on my 16th birthday. It's a choice that you have to love. I worked 13 hour days during the summer to pay for it all. Then about a month ago I got my PPL the day after my 17th birthday. Now I'm working on my instrument ticket hoping to have that finished up this summer. It's not the age that matters it's how bad you want it.

Helo08

So, how are you [legally] conducting sightseeing tours without a commercial certificate?

I think it was a little ambiguous. I fly with friends and acquaintances and pay the half costs myself (in 2-seat helicopter). Ok, maybe "sightseeing tours" was the false word. I fly just for fun with friends. Now I hope it´s clear. :rolleyes:

Im going to have to finish college, work for 3/4 years to save enough, then start. Which frustrates me no end. :angry:

Use that frustration to not forget to start at 20 or 21 yrs. old...that is still very young and all the money saved and the effort/discipline used to get there will make it that much better.

Just a thought...