Things I've learned in IFR training...

I'm currently nearing the end of my IFR training (he says optimistically) and I have to say it's been an interesting trip so far. Since it's not something I've seen a lot of posts on VR I thought I'd throw a few comments out there for fun...

--- When doing a cross country at 9000 MSL, resist the temptation to fly with the doors off since it's been so hot lately.

--- The heater in the R-22 doesn't work worth a damn when the doors are off. (see above)

--- No matter which way you park, you will have a right quartering tailwind when you lift off.

--- The tower has no problem clearing helicopters in opposite the way everyone else is landing. On the center runway. With both outer runways active. This helps give you incentive to stay on the localizer.

--- The tower has no problem clearing faster traffic in front of you or underneath you while you're on final.

--- If you press the channel button on the cyclic instead of the push to talk switch, the Garmin 430 will thoughfully put you on 121.5. (Hey, in the older R22's those buttons were radio and intercom push to talk...)

--- The tower has no problem telling you to do a 360 for separation. Yep, while you're on final.

--- Whoever makes the attitude Indicators on the R-22 IFR trainers needs to fly with them once in a while - They're excellent at getting you into unusual attitudes. This makes pitch control a little more challenging. Fortunately the VSI's seem to work OK as a primary attitude instrument while the AI is wandering around pretending it's in a aerobatic aircraft...

--- It must really be nice having more than one radio.

--- When you live in the desert and fly after work get used to flying in a light breeze - I just put TEMPO FM2024 25015G25 P6SM on the master copy of my flight plan so I don't have to write it down every day.

--- No, all that VFR traffic really doesn't know you're there.

--- I know I've been flying in the wind too much when the one day it's calm I panic thinking the engine must have sucked a valve when lifting off, and then realize it's the first time in two weeks I haven't been above ETL in the hover (albeit from the right rear quarter - see above)

I've actually been having a lot of fun, but my instructor seem to have taken up drinking for some reason...

I think it's a shame more helicopter pilots don't get an instrument rating. It is additional training that makes you a better pilot. An instrument rating also fills in the PIC gap between private and commercial. And it makes you just a little safer when flying VFR in low visibility.

--- It must really be nice having more than one radio.

My pet peeve flying in LA area...you HAVE to monitor multiple channels for basic safety...when are they going to make a dual radio that fits in the same space as a standard one ????? or do they ?

Goldy

That was a good comment Goldy! I just got my Instrument Books and am going to start reading through them here in the next few weeks, and hopefully start my IFR training in July maybe.

I am going to print out the first post and put it on my binder!

PS, Hope to see you at Hiller next weekend Goldy!

The extra radio isn't a matter of space, it's a matter of $$. Cheap operators don't want to pay for another radio if they don't have to. It makes you wonder what else they're scrimping on.

Flying IFR is, to me, the most satisfying part of the job. A long trip in solid IMC, with an ILS approach to minimums, breaking out at 100' with the runway directly ahead, gives me more satisfaction than almost anything else. If you can fly with that precision, you're a better pilot, and will likely fly precisely all the time, and thus fly more safely.

And what's an IFR training hood? I've seen them in the pilot store and they look a bit, well, unsavory....

They have to be worn...not just seen !!

It is difficult to fully appreciate the dramatic effect of an IFR hood while it hangs on the wall. From the flying nun hood to the "almost too cool for the 80's" Jepp Shades, simulated instrument flight is an amazingly stylish affair.