King Schools video programs

VR - Its been a while since I have posted....a pretty long while actually. I fell off the training wagon last fall. I was about 3/4 of the way through my PPL. I havent touched a helicopter or a book in many months. I am starting the process of going back to school, but as we all know a skill not practiced is a skill forgotten. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the King Schools videos? A little expensive for the full PPL(H) video couse, but at this point, I need something that will help kick start my training again. Thanks -

VR - Its been a while since I have posted....a pretty long while actually. I fell off the training wagon last fall. I was about 3/4 of the way through my PPL. I havent touched a helicopter or a book in many months. I am starting the process of going back to school, but as we all know a skill not practiced is a skill forgotten. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the King Schools videos? A little expensive for the full PPL(H) video couse, but at this point, I need something that will help kick start my training again. Thanks -

Yep, I used it for the commercial written. Well worth the price. Ignore those weekend courses, they are a waste of time and money. The videos let you study at your schedule and are available for you to go back and review. They make a great reference. The content just what you need to pass.

Good luck,

Permison

Yep, I used it for the commercial written. Well worth the price. Ignore those weekend courses, they are a waste of time and money. The videos let you study at your schedule and are available for you to go back and review. They make a great reference. The content just what you need to pass.

Good luck,

Permison

Thanks Permision - I appreciate the feedback. I figure the cost for the videos is ok. I'd spend that much at school just to get back in the saddle again, to refresh. Thanks again.

Edited by Flyfisherman79

I think we've debated the value of the King videos before. From what I remember, those who them were happy (but that much poorer), but they also thought you could get the same if you were motivated to sit down and study.

--c

I have used the King courses, and the computerized exam review. They are good, but they are getting pretty expensive. Might ask around at one of the airport BS sessions, someone may have, or be willing to split the cost with you.

If you can spare the cash, you'll be happy with the course. If you have to choose between it and food...... buy the food. :)

Clark B)

Sorry, but I have to disagree a bit. Why do you need the King course to get motivated? You could fly for 2 or 3 hours for the cost of the course...you can study up for free using a couple of the free on line deals (here I go again) like www.mywrittenexam.com.....I love that site and its free !!

If you need a basic CD I would get the Sporty's CD for about $30 bucks just to warm you up.

Either way, get your butt off your chair and go fly and don't stop until you are on your way back from your checkride, dripping wet and tired of flying for the day !

7-8 months since your last flight is nothing...that was my "usual" flight traning for my first 3 years! (not recommended though!)

Good flying, Goldy

I watched he videos before taking my PPL airplane checkride several years ago. I thought they were great at presenting the material in another fashion, making it easier for me to remember. There were a few concepts that I was a little unclear on that the videos helped turn on the light.

And then there's the fun factor. Every time my wife would walk into the room while I was watching the cheesey videos she'd bust out laughing.

Considering the material that they have to cover the Kings do an excellent job at presenting the material.

I watched he videos before taking my PPL airplane checkride several years ago. I thought they were great at presenting the material in another fashion, making it easier for me to remember. There were a few concepts that I was a little unclear on that the videos helped turn on the light.

And then there's the fun factor. Every time my wife would walk into the room while I was watching the cheesey videos she'd bust out laughing.

Considering the material that they have to cover the Kings do an excellent job at presenting the material.

Thanks for the reply. I think I am going to give them a try. I am not the fastest reader and I usually have to read stuff a couple times to really get it. Hands on and forum-like....No probs. Given the overwhelming amount of information......I'd have to read it all a couple times (and its been long enough since I was really active in school) that knowing myself, it'll take me forever. I am looking at different ways of presenting that information to myself. I will try them. We all learn differently. Some people can read a novel in a day and remember everything. I wish I was that guy, but I am not. Thanks again for the replies.

Just last night I was watching that DVD, the Helicopter portion of the course. I really like the way John and Martha explain things. True, all the information is in books, but they bring it to life. For example, Martha takes you through some of the Performance Charts, and Weight and Balance calculations. Simply reading about that stuff can be boring - but Martha made it so clear and easy for me to understand.

I have also used some of their materials for fixed wing and found them to be very helpful and enjoyable too. John and Martha present things in such a way that keep you interested, and keep you wanting to learn more.

I am unfamiliar with the materials offered by other companies such as Sporty's. Therefore I cannot say whether King's are better or not. But they are very helpful.

It's true that these cost money; however, unlike an actual classroom lesson, the DVDs/videos can be watched over and over at your convenience.

Just another 2 cents!

I purchased the entire PPL(H) course from King, and I had somewhat of a bad experience with it. None of it had to do with the content, the Kings are great teachers and well respected. My issue was technical in nature, and they were more than happy to refund my purchase. They are working on the technical side, and in the future I may try them again.

I did end up purchasing some software made by dauntless that was just great, and really made studying easy for me. I used the Groundschool and the Ride Ready software they have, and it was a great tool. I nearly aced my PPL knowlege exam, missed one question due to a calculation error. The software allows straight study and a wide variety of practice exams to get you ready for the tests. Check them out!

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/

I would say good luck, but as Goldy eluded to, its more appropriate to say Work Hard! You can get it done provided you want it bad enough. We only do what we actually believe in.... Enjoy!

As im almost finshing my commecrial helicpoter training program, i,m living with a kiwi who has the king videos,just got them the other day ,and would recommend these videos for sure.

I did end up purchasing some software made by dauntless that was just great, and really made studying easy for me. I used the Groundschool and the Ride Ready software they have, and it was a great tool. I nearly aced my PPL knowlege exam, missed one question due to a calculation error. The software allows straight study and a wide variety of practice exams to get you ready for the tests. Check them out!

I second dauntless soft's test prep. Yeah, you can get free tests on-line, but their software makes it a useful study tool. All of the questions have some sort of explanation (even if it is just cut and pasted from the FAR/AIM), and some of them have answers that go more in-depth or provide useful mnemonics. Much more useful than any of the written test preps that I looked at. You still have to read the books though....

--c

I second dauntless soft's test prep. Yeah, you can get free tests on-line, but their software makes it a useful study tool. All of the questions have some sort of explanation (even if it is just cut and pasted from the FAR/AIM), and some of them have answers that go more in-depth or provide useful mnemonics. Much more useful than any of the written test preps that I looked at. You still have to read the books though....

--c

Another happy customer of dauntless... I used their RideReady for my commercial rating and it did a great job of preparing me for the oral. They put pics of charts and diagrams into the software so it's pretty well-rounded, and seemed to cover everything necessary.