Headset option

You don't need, or want, the mike in front of your mouth, it should be around at the corner. I've flown with the Clarity Aloft from both seats, and there is no need to move it to the right side. If the wind is breaking squelch, then turn up the vox control, that's what it's for. You should be able to set it at a good level, and any mike is going to give you problems if it's in the wind stream. And if your company is so anal that they're concerned about the model of headset you have, you really need to find another company, because they will find something else to be concerned about, without doubt. But in the end, headsets are rather personal choices, and everyone should get whatever model works best for them.

You don't need, or want, the mike in front of your mouth, it should be around at the corner. I've flown with the Clarity Aloft from both seats, and there is no need to move it to the right side. If the wind is breaking squelch, then turn up the vox control, that's what it's for. You should be able to set it at a good level, and any mike is going to give you problems if it's in the wind stream. And if your company is so anal that they're concerned about the model of headset you have, you really need to find another company, because they will find something else to be concerned about, without doubt. But in the end, headsets are rather personal choices, and everyone should get whatever model works best for them.

I did try to adjust it, but it seemed we could just not get it right.

My school had no problems with the type either, I was saying I did not know if where I might go when I was at the 1000 hr mark, if the outside helicopter world would have problems with that type, and since I did not know for sure, I did not want to take the chance.

Not had problem with Vox breaking in, I find the mic has moved from the corner of my mouth and I have to keep re adjusting a slightly longer boom would allow me to bend the darn thing so it stays where I put it, did spend a while adj internal Vox to get it to switch when I wanted. :ph34r:

I tried the Lightspeed Mach 1, and didn't like it that well, so I returned it. I have both a Clarity Aloft and a Quiet Technologies HALO, and both work well. Even with doors off, or standing outside, you get better noise reduction than with a domed headset, because the domes don't make a perfect seal all the time, no matter what you do. Especially flying with the doors off, you get gaps and noise inside. You can wear earplugs underneath the domes, of course, but I've found that they don't make that much difference in perceived noise levels. With proper earplugs, you get a NRR of >30, which is more than adequate, and better than you'll get with any domed headset, ANR or not. The comfort level is orders of magnitude better. In the end, though, people are going to buy based on looks and coolness factor, more than objective specifications, so go ahead and spend the big bucks for the Bose. I go for performance rather than style, in everything, but that's just me.

Between the Clarity Aloft and Quiet TEchnologies HALO...do you have a preference? I haven't purchased a headset yet, but I like the idea of the in-ear design. I use a similar type of in-ear plugs with my Ipod and love them. My instructor has an extra set of domes that we use in my training, nothing fancy. They're ok, but they tend to slip in the middle of our flights, which is pretty annoying.

Between the Clarity Aloft and Quiet TEchnologies HALO...do you have a preference? I haven't purchased a headset yet, but I like the idea of the in-ear design. I use a similar type of in-ear plugs with my Ipod and love them. My instructor has an extra set of domes that we use in my training, nothing fancy. They're ok, but they tend to slip in the middle of our flights, which is pretty annoying.

This is what I got and really liked, beside my previous stated issues.

http://www.clarityaloft.com/

The HALO is of lighter construction, which could be a double-edged sword, but so far not a problem. One plus, sort of, is that it uses plastic tubes from the speakers to the eartips. These are durable, and cheaply and easily replaced if necessary. The Clarity Aloft has wires from the frame to the speakers, which attach directly to the eartips. These wires cannot be easily replaced if they ever break. I have no indication that they're particularly fragile, but it's something to keep in mind. Otherwise, the main difference is that the CA has cellphone/mp3 input, the HALO does not, and the cables on the HALO are smaller in diameter. Both require an adapter for use in a helicopter.

The HALO is of lighter construction, which could be a double-edged sword, but so far not a problem. One plus, sort of, is that it uses plastic tubes from the speakers to the eartips. These are durable, and cheaply and easily replaced if necessary. The Clarity Aloft has wires from the frame to the speakers, which attach directly to the eartips. These wires cannot be easily replaced if they ever break. I have no indication that they're particularly fragile, but it's something to keep in mind. Otherwise, the main difference is that the CA has cellphone/mp3 input, the HALO does not, and the cables on the HALO are smaller in diameter. Both require an adapter for use in a helicopter.

Oh, yeah, your post reminded me, the Clarity Aloft one will have a helicopter cable as an option in a couple months according to them.

Oh, yeah, your post reminded me, the Clarity Aloft one will have a helicopter cable as an option in a couple months according to them.

They've been saying that for a couple months... I talked to them about it and they said when it came out it would still be a straight cord, just with the different tip. I just bought the GA version with the adapter and it's been great.